Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

migraines/visual migraines should i see my GP?

(5 Posts)
mum2samandalex Sun 21-Sep-08 21:08:09

as a child i suffered from child migraine i.e upset tummy which i had to take medication for. And over the last few years ive suffered from really bad headaches (which im now guessing are migraines) and feeling nausea to the point where i need to lie down in a dark room until i can sleep it off. Ive never been to my doctors about it but recently i had a visual migraine i completely freaked out as i thought i was going blind as i couldnt see properly for at least 30mins.I was in town so dh took me to the opticians and i had my eyes checked out and all is fine there. My worry is that i have a history of high blood pressure in my family and with ds i had pre-eclampsia and dd whos 7mths i had pregnancy induced hypertension and was on meds about 5mths ago. Do i need to see my GP-is there a connection between high BP and migraines etc. Im also worried about the fact i may be high risk of having a stroke as again this runs in my family.Will i be wasting my GP's time as im guessing theres very little they can do for migraines.

TheArmadillo Sun 21-Sep-08 21:10:14

There are things they can do for migraines - different medications, other pain managment techniques. It would be worth going to see if there is anything they can help you with.

Mimsy2000 Sun 21-Sep-08 21:16:12

god are you kiddding - wasting your gps time!?!? this is exactly the sort of thing you should go in for. make sure you give him/her all your history b/c it sounds like there are a lot of factors to consider. and there are many things they can do for migraine sufferers. go get yourself seen!

FrayedKnot Sun 21-Sep-08 21:18:41

Given your history I do not think you will be wasting their time at all.

There are treatments for migraine if you want to go down that route. How often do you get them?

I have them occasionally and recently also had a visual migraine at work (lost partial sight for about 20 mins) - very frightening but I knew what was happening so just waited for it to go off.

I would definitely go.

colacubes Sun 21-Sep-08 21:19:15

I got blind migranes a lot when pregnant, usually went after 40 minutes, was fine for me but you should definetley go to the docs, let him give you an mot!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: