Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

coughing for last 4 hours! HELP

(19 Posts)
spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:00:14

dd (16 months) has been coughing for last 4 hours and so cant get off to sleep.... she's teething and has had a temp... so far had calpol, neurofen and a cough med... any ideas? its not chesty... sounds likt tickly

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:10:23

help... gotta get her some sleep

Fimbo Fri 25-Feb-05 23:11:46

If you can get to a 24hr chemist I would get Medised. It helps my ds to sleep.

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:13:17

she refuses to take it... and cant give it to her anyway... shes had calpol, neurofen and tixilix

Skribble Fri 25-Feb-05 23:13:22

Sometimes just sips of water to sooth when you can't give any more med. I normaly have to stay nearby with water handy to give before coughing gets to bad each time. Try proping them up a bit as tickles often get worse when lying down. Safest way is to put extra pillow under mattress.

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:14:38

shes drunk 2 cupfuls of water... i've been with her the whole time, tried various sleeping positions...

polly28 Fri 25-Feb-05 23:15:10

try a damp towel on the radiator to moisten the air.
Is she wheezing?,My ds gets wheezy when he has a cold ,makes him cough when lying down,don't know why.Is she upset by the coughing.

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:17:33

shes not wheezing... she is annoyed by the coughing

Niddlynono Fri 25-Feb-05 23:18:21

Have you tried raising the head of her bed? Or if you try and humidify the room by putting a wet towel on the radiator.

Bless her. She must be pooped.

SPARKLER1 Fri 25-Feb-05 23:18:46

my dd (5) had a dreadful cough a few weeks ago - kept us up for nights. I tried everything, tixylix, olbas oil in steaming hot water, drinks, karvol capsules on the pillow. None of it seemed to help. I then used Vicks vaporub on her chest, throat and back and it seemed to ease. I swear it helped.

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:19:19

tried raising her head end.... will try the towel on rad... had turned heating off cos she has high temp

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:19:56

i thought vicks stuff was recalled?

SPARKLER1 Fri 25-Feb-05 23:20:25

was it?

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:21:51

I'm sure i read something on here about it... it was the baby balsam version (or whatever the name is) i think it had been linked to fits or convulsions in babies ... sorry cant remember full details

partymoo Fri 25-Feb-05 23:22:00

Try and make the room steamy - you can even plug a kettle in and boil it (obviously don't leave it in the room with her). Coughs are the pits.

partymoo Fri 25-Feb-05 23:23:51

You're not supposed to use vapour rub type things on babies under 6 months - can't remember exact details but the strength of the menthol stuff can sort of send their breathing into shock - but 16 months is fine.

spod Fri 25-Feb-05 23:29:36

okay, sorry, didnt mean to panic anyone, I'm sure i read something on mumsnet tho'....

ionesmum Fri 25-Feb-05 23:38:53

Definitely a fan of steamy rooms, we've even got our dds up and given them a bath! Karvol do a version of Vick rub which is also good. Perhaps the teething is causing the cough - or at least making it worse - if she is dribbling a lot? Also have brought dd1 downstairs and sat her in front of a Tweenies video, it's not ideal but at least it took all our minds off it, and dd1 did eventually fall asleep. There are a lot of coughs around this year and IME there's not a lot you can do except find ways to cope and sit it out. Lots of sympathy and I hope your dd gets better soon.

spod Sat 26-Feb-05 19:43:44

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=138&threadid=48541

this thread says about the vaour rub

dd still coughing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now