Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have been booked in for endoscopy in two weeks, really worried, how will I cope!?

(6 Posts)
ashamedtoadmit Sat 20-Sep-08 20:28:12

Have read the leaflet they have sent which makes it sound ^not too bad^, but this is not what other people who have had the proceedure have told me!!

Also, they say you can have IV sedation if you want but cannot drive etc for a 24 hrs after which will be really difficult with ds/ childcare/ no family local to help out. The other option is the 'spray' which numbs your throat on its own, but would I be better off having the sedation??

Can you eat afterwards or do you feel ill/ in pain?

TheBlonde Sat 20-Sep-08 20:36:25

I had it but with sedation as I also had a colonscopy at the same time

It wasn't painful as such iirc but it made me gag a lot

expatinscotland Sat 20-Sep-08 20:44:25

my dad had it done with the IV sedation as was having the colonoscopy at the same time, too.

he also had angioplasty with IV sedation.

i have to say, i heart IV sedation. i've had it several times and it's worth it.

katch Sat 20-Sep-08 20:49:39

I had it with the throat spray, and I'd definitely recommend the sedation - get a taxi home, ask a friend to watch ds.

The gagging left me feeling sick for a week afterwards.

Toots Sat 20-Sep-08 20:53:10

I had an endoscopy with just spray. It was pretty challenging but not alarming if you focus on keeping yourself calm and don't think about what's happening or fight it pt you will retch. It worked out because a lovely confident nurse held my hand and told me the entire time that I was doing really well. You need them to keep saying it and maybe having eye contact with you if you're up for that which I was.

I love things like valium and morphine, don't get me wrong but I needed to get myself home and collect the kids. It was a bit sore afterwards but fine.

An experienced nurse will know exactly how to look after you.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Toots Sat 20-Sep-08 20:54:38

Poor you Katch. I didn't have after effects that badly at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now