Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baby with tonsilitis won't eat

(4 Posts)
MrsJamin Sat 20-Sep-08 16:38:14

8.5MO DS has tonsilitis (just started on course of antibiotics this afternoon)- he is BF and only eats a little solids at the best of times (BLW) - for the past 48 hours has only had 4 2-min BFs (not much longer than just after let-down) and won't have much more than water from his sippy cup (apart from blueberry muffin!). Needless to say he's very unhappy - crying all the time and is making hand signals that he's hungry.

Is there anything I can give him which won't make his throat hurt? He won't have EBM from a bottle - would EBM in his sippy cup be any better? Could I use the copious amounts of EBM I'm making for anything he will eat?!

lulumama Sat 20-Sep-08 16:40:29

could you freeze the EBM for a soothing popsicle? or let him suck on a flannel soaked in water or give EBM from a medicine syringe?

jelly?

good dairy ice cream?

Weegle Sat 20-Sep-08 17:09:13

I wouldn't worry about food - they all go off food when they are ill. Concentrate on fluids and when he is better he'll make up with it with days of ravenous eating. hope he's feeling brighter soon.

notsoteenagemum Sat 20-Sep-08 17:21:10

My DD had tonsilitis often from similar age and the breast milk lolly went down well also fruit juice ones watered down, I used an ice-cube tray and lolly stick or weaning spoon for the handle.
Word of warning though the infection can cause tummy upsets too DD was often sick if she had too much food, keep it little and often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now