Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

omeprazole stopped working - nonscary explanations please!

(7 Posts)
barbapapa Sat 20-Sep-08 11:01:07

Have been given 4 weeks course of omeprazole as having bad acid indigestion, burping (sorry tmi) and a feeling that my stomach area is in a spasm. Am feeling very stressed so doc felt this was prob reason.

She told me that the medicine would take about 2 weeks to work - in fact the relief was almost instant but then after 8 blissful days when I thought I was cured the symptoms came back. I have for a while thought that I may not tolerate garlic (after a hideous experience here my stomach swelled up when eating pickled garlic)and the symptoms came back after I ate a meal with lots of cloves of cooked garlic - any connection, I don't know.

Will get myself down to docs afer weekend and ask for an endoscopy as I am convinced I have stomach cancer, mainly due to my advanced age (42) . But in the meantime has anyone got a non scary stories for what might be happening?

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 11:05:56

if it is a suspected ulcer- have you had the blood test to check for H Pylori? this is a bacteria which lives in stomach and causes ulcers. This is treat by omeprazole or equivalant and a very stong dose of antibiotics.
The other thing to rule out is a hiatus hernia (which is what I have) but this tends to be genetic and picked up early, but can alos be caused by being overweight.

What dose are you taking?

I had endoscopy 10 years ago, and refused sedation- please take it!

barbapapa Sat 20-Sep-08 11:14:25

Doc didn't seem to think it was an ulcer just an irritation of the stomach lining.
Am taking 20mg omeprazole - not overweight , do have a brother with a hiatus hernia .
Had an endoscopy 10 years ago for vomiting and stomach pain - they found nothing. I took sedation as I am a wuss and hated the idea of being put under completely.

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 11:20:44

sounds like you have a hiatus hernia to me.
Relux, vomiting and acid very common symptoms

I def get another endoscopy.

barbapapa Sat 20-Sep-08 11:58:06

Bump?

tink123 Sat 20-Sep-08 14:51:36

you may need it increased to twice daily 20mg

Goober Sat 20-Sep-08 14:55:19

My DH takes it. He has just had to double his dosage as it wasn't working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now