Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

threadworms Heeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!

(16 Posts)
nameychangy Fri 25-Feb-05 17:24:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Titania Fri 25-Feb-05 17:26:22

keep nails short and make sure everyone uses their own towel and wash them as often as possible

Fimbo Wed 02-Mar-05 22:12:17

DD has just caught them as well. There was a letter from the school about a month saying there was a few cases but as she didn't have them at the time, I chucked it out. Vaguely remember it said they should stay off school until clear, does anyone know if this is the case?

Fimbo Wed 02-Mar-05 22:21:38

BUMP. BUMP. BUMP.

happymerryberries Thu 03-Mar-05 19:57:43

Vile, wash bottoms every morning, wear underpants at night, agree with cutting nails and keeping to own towels

Grizzly Thu 03-Mar-05 21:25:02

Horrible to admit - I had them loads when I was a kid, but the rest of the family never caught them. I was a nail biter - no-one else in the family was ... draw your own conclusions...yuk

cazabela Mon 07-Mar-05 10:35:02

is there any herbal cure for them dont really want to give drug to dd?

geekgrrl Mon 07-Mar-05 10:40:27

i've not found anything herbal that doesn't sound like complete quackery, cazabela. So gross and mine seem to catch them rather frequently.
Aparently if you manage to be fanatical about hygiene and somehow manage to avoid reinfestation (not sure how seeing the eggs apparently become airborne - urgh) they just die off after six weeks.
It's family packs of Ovex for us. Urgh. Certainly not something they ever warn you about in those antenatal classes, huh?

cazabela Mon 07-Mar-05 10:44:11

we have never had them before so i am a bit freaked out! can i just buy over counter!

scotlou Mon 07-Mar-05 10:47:08

Fimbo, when mine had them the pharmacist said they didn't need to stay off school / nursery - but suppose it may depend on individual schools. I don't really know why they would have to as long as they are being treated and nails are cut etc - and they recognise the importance of washing their hands etc etc.

geekgrrl Mon 07-Mar-05 10:54:14

yes ovex is OTC

sweetheart Mon 07-Mar-05 11:11:15

We had a letter from school about this last week - I don't know what it is??? Can someone tell me so I can keep a look out for it.

My dh wants me to go and get the medicine for it - even though I don't think our dd has it. Will it stop her getting it if we start the medicine now???

Why don't the schools give out information about what it is and how to treat it!!!

yoyo Mon 07-Mar-05 11:41:15

Sweetheart - the medicine is a treatment not for prevention. Just watch her carefully. Not all children find them itchy until they have really taken hold (as I found with DD unfortunately). Thay often complain of soreness. You could always check using a torch once she has gone to sleep if you are in doubt. My DD is a nailbiter too!

meysey Mon 07-Mar-05 14:56:16

can you take ovex at night?

last time we had some medicine (a different brand) it caused diarrhoea in my DS and I don't want that to happen at night!
but I don't want to have to have a day sitting at home if I can help it, so would rather give it at night...

cazabela Mon 07-Mar-05 18:13:13

can u give ovex to a 2yr?

meysey Mon 07-Mar-05 22:12:49

on back of packet it says for 2 years plus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now