Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Toddler Op to Remove Cyst - scared of general anaesthetic!

(5 Posts)
sasamax Fri 19-Sep-08 16:36:39

This morning the consultant Paed told us that my 2.5 yr old had a cyst on his foreskin which was to be removed under general anaesthetic. (This won't happen until he is out of nappies so I said any time after Jan as potty training still a work in progress) Anyway, i am absolutely terrified of the anaesthetic as he had a reaction to his first immunisations at 2 months (although none after this).
I have absolute faith in the surgeon and it's a minor op but how can I calm down about the GA?? Any anaesthetists who can put my mind at rest, or other mums been through something similar? Am I doing the right thing by getting this done?

sasamax Fri 19-Sep-08 20:29:08

bump!

SallyLW Sat 20-Sep-08 17:47:08

My son had a general anaesthetic at around the same age to correct an undescended testicle. I too tortured myself that it was going to go horribly wrong.He too has a sensitivity to innoculations.
Please dont worry.The risk of anything going wrong with a general anaesthetic on a child is soooo small its not even worth a thought.My son was fine and had no adverse reaction aftrewards. Talk through your concerns with your surgeon/ anaesthetist. Remember, they wouldnt do it for a minor conditon if the risk was great. Good luck!!

dippica Sat 20-Sep-08 18:32:36

Both my boys had testes descended surgically at a young age, and have since had one other GA each (one appendix and one leaky heart valve!) - its horrible for the parents of course- they look so tiny and vulnerable etc, but try not to worry - the anaesthetists know what they're doing...

Take some tissues for when the nurse walks you back to the ward to wait (I was a blubbing wreck, she said she was quite used to it!), get a good hot cup of sweet tea and a trashy magazine and it'll soon be over.

sasamax Sat 20-Sep-08 22:50:12

Thanks so much for the lovely advice and support. It really helps to know that other people have been through this - I know it sounds so trivial but it's really worrying me. I'm particularly glad that Sallylw's son also is funny with innoculations - I was convinced that this was a terrible sign.
Thanks girls xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now