Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's the most diazepam I can take to make my flight more bearable?

(18 Posts)
TracyK Fri 19-Sep-08 11:43:31

I usually take 5mg just before boarding - but the last time - it wasn't as effective - don't know if I took it too late.

But could I take a higher dose?

jooseyfruit Fri 19-Sep-08 11:47:16

i take between 7.5 and 10 mgs.you'll be fine. good luck!

jooseyfruit Fri 19-Sep-08 11:52:03

take about 20 mins to notice effect.

emma1977 Fri 19-Sep-08 11:58:08

Have you ever taken it before?

If not, try a test dose a few days beforehand to see how it affects you.

A word of warning- the effects of a lot of medications are more potent at altitude and when combined with alcohol. A small proportion of people get aggressive or disinhibited with benzos- not something you want to discover for the first time on board an aircraft!

TracyK Fri 19-Sep-08 13:08:34

Yes - I've taken it the past 3 times I've flown and usually ok. But didn't really enjoy the last flight back from Spain in May. Though only took it 10 mins before take off - so maybe take it 20 mins before.

I was incredibly snappy the following day (though was a bit pmt too) - is that the side effect of taking it the day before?
Do you take it for flying joosey?

jooseyfruit Sat 20-Sep-08 20:24:54

yes,i only take it the very rare occasions where i feel brave enough to fly!! i usually get a prescription for 20mg (4x5mgs). you can get a wee bit of a 'hangover', tiredness etc.

tink123 Sat 20-Sep-08 21:16:47

I normally take 10mg and drink loads of alcohol with no effect. Still terrified!!!

10mg
less you are the pilot

jooseyfruit Sat 20-Sep-08 21:19:01

i get mine off the pilot

sumomum Sat 20-Sep-08 21:40:13

Shit, I've just been prescibed 10 x 2mg to take with me to NZ. I am a v.v.v.v.v nervous flyer, to be honest I am dreading the flight. My tablets will never last me there and back!!!

TracyK Sun 21-Sep-08 20:53:42

Oh my god - I would never fly that far - you are far braver than I Sumomum! Spain/Italy are as far as I dare.

spicemonster Sun 21-Sep-08 20:56:32

I would be very careful taking them before you're actually on the plane - my friend who is a very nervous flier downed a load of valium and then the flight was delayed for 3 hours. It was pretty awful having to drag him comatose round the airport

TracyK Sun 21-Sep-08 21:06:19

Thats why I might take them too late as I wait till we're almost through the gate and defo on time. I only have enough pills for the flight there and back and never want to run out!

sumomum Sun 21-Sep-08 21:10:56

Not that brave tracyk, i've been in tears for the last month at the thought of having to go. Leave on Thursday, DH is a kiwi so no way of backing out i'm afraid!

TracyK Mon 22-Sep-08 09:33:51

Is it one way - or are you coming back?

sumomum Mon 22-Sep-08 20:35:37

No, we're only going for a holiday. Have to endure the return flight in three weeks sad

Cannot believe how emotional & anxious I am about the flight. Any tips?

TracyK Tue 23-Sep-08 14:51:17

What about flying do you not like? It's the thought of turbulence that frightens me and for you - your plane will be flying so much higher than mine - that there's less chance of turbulence for you.

I don't mind the landing - cos then I know its almost over and the take off only lasts a couple of minutes.

I always keep an eye on the staff - they always look casual - even during a bumpy bit - so I placate myself that it's all normal to them and is ok for me too! But the pills do help - you still don't enjoy it - you just don't get the churning tummy or sweaty palms or fast beating heart.

There are web sites that help with fear of flying adn some tips on there - have a google for them.

Beetroot Tue 23-Sep-08 15:15:47

sumomum - if you are that worried go back tot he docotor and ask for more.

I used ot take them years ago and ended up taking a 1/4 of a 10mg tablet and it still worked .

Beilieve it
You will be fine
How fantatis to go to NZ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now