Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh, lord - worms!

(6 Posts)
seeker Fri 19-Sep-08 11:05:32

I suppose I'm lucky this is the first time we've had them in 12 years but.....!

Is it true that you have to hoover and wash everything? I know some people say you have to with nits and you actually don't, so I'm hoping the same is true of worms......can anyone tell me?

Boyswillbeboys Fri 19-Sep-08 11:25:44

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you know when your DCs have worms?? My youngest has just started Reception and has been scratching his bottom a lot which has made me a bit suspicious but could be nothing I suppose..

seeker Fri 19-Sep-08 11:29:38

In my case, you realize when your ds says "What are those white things in my poo?" blush

MamaG Fri 19-Sep-08 11:31:50

Boys - you need to get your DS to keel down and then curl into a ball with his bottom in the air, so you can see his, er, bumhole (for wnat of a better word!) - you can often see the little blighters wriggling (v small white). Or you could check his poo. Howefver, if he is itching a LOT, I'd just give him some medicine (can buy over counter) and let teachers know you suspect he has had them.

One dose gets rid of them IIRC.

seeker - I just made sure all teh bedding and towels were washed, I didn't frantically wash every single thing in the house and we didn't get them back.

Boyswillbeboys Fri 19-Sep-08 11:39:05

Ha ha, this will be fun - I can never get DS to stay in one place for any length of time so I can't imagine he will want to keep still long enough for me to examine his bum grin

JacobsPrincess Fri 19-Sep-08 11:41:02

The worms come out more at night to lay their eggs, so check bumholes in the evening!
And make sure fingernails are cut short to end the scratching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now