Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed on tablets to treat high blood pressure

(10 Posts)
Lanky Thu 18-Sep-08 17:02:54

Hello. My partner has suffered from high blood pressure for a number of years and sees the doctor every six months. At each visit his blood pressure his high. His tablets are changed, or dose increased and it comes down again within in a couple of weeks. However, it has always increased by the next six-month check.

I realise that he probably becomes used to the tablets, but surely this should take longer than six months?

My father died of a heart attack when he was in his 40s (more or less the same age as my dp is now), so I'm particularly anxious that this gets sorted out.

As far as I can remember he is on Valsartan and beta blockers.

Does anybody have any advice/experience to share.

Thanks in advance

fakeblonde Thu 18-Sep-08 17:29:19

There have been massieadvances in the treatment of blood pressure in recent years.
I would suggest you make an appointment to see your practice nurse practitioner (differrent to practice nurse ) and she`ll get you both up to scratch with whats going on,answer your questions, hopefully reassure you and together you can come up with some sort of management plan >
HTH x

Blandmum Thu 18-Sep-08 17:41:46

There are many different types of antihypertensive drugs on the market, not everyone responds to the same degree to them all. Diuretics, ACE inhibitors, Beta blockers and .....can't remember the last type grin

In addition it is not uncommon for patients to need more than one type of drug to get the BP under good control

See the GP/ nurse and get things sorted out would be good advice

Lanky Fri 19-Sep-08 09:36:57

Many thanks. Dp has an appointment with the doctor on Monday and I may well go along with him, so I can ask questions.

Iklboo Fri 19-Sep-08 09:38:34

Docs usually try a series of different hypertensives to find the one that suits best.
I'm on Atenolol for mine and it's really stable (at the minute!)

Lanky Fri 19-Sep-08 10:01:29

Hi Iklboo. Have you experienced the same thing? Dp has been on tablets for about seven years and he hasn't been stable for about four years.

emma1977 Fri 19-Sep-08 12:00:36

Most people with high blood pressure require a combination of drugs to keep their blood pressure normal, and it can take a lot of trial and error to find the perfect mix.

Lanky Fri 19-Sep-08 14:10:51

Emma, I see from your profile that you're a GP, so thanks for the advice. Our GP hasn't explained this to him.

Clure Mon 22-Sep-08 19:21:31

Hi, it is a worry but in my experience combination worked best for me. Have been put on so many different types, some didn't suit and had unpleasant side effects. Just tried different types, at present on 2 different meds. I also found that a blood pressure monitor at home helped ( you can get them fairly cheaply off internet)- I seem to suffer from White Coat Syndrome! hope you get it sorted

whomovedmychocolate Mon 22-Sep-08 19:26:28

IME losing weight and starting to exercise are as effective than the drugs so if he could perhaps try that too if it's appropriate to him, or at least discuss with the doctor what might help (cutting out salt etc.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now