Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Definitely TMI- prolapsed bowel

(15 Posts)
littlestrawberry Thu 18-Sep-08 02:51:16

Anyone any experience of a prolapsed bowel. I think I have one, far too embarrassed to see GP. I know I should see my GP but I just can't face it at the moment. My bowel appears to sag through my vaginal wallblush, it affects my bowel movements. Don't get much time when need bowels open IYSWIM and general discomfort when in need of toilet.

Its been like this I think since radical hysterectomy 3 years ago. Had this for cervical cancer, had 2 kids within the 3 years prior to that, so think my muscles may be shot to bits.

Anyone any ideas on treatment? I'm only in my 30's fgs, I feel like an old woman.

SuperBunny Thu 18-Sep-08 03:02:14

No experience and I'm sorry you have to deal with this but you know the only solution is to see a dr, don't you?

It's quiet here at this time of day/ night but if you search the archives there are lots of people who have had this problem.

Hope someone can come along and reassure you soon

littlestrawberry Thu 18-Sep-08 08:27:21

Thanks superbunny, I'll have a search. I knew it would be very quiet, also quiet at work at that time which is why I posted when I did. Got to wile away the small hours somehowsmile

littlestrawberry Thu 18-Sep-08 08:27:22

Thanks superbunny, I'll have a search. I knew it would be very quiet, also quiet at work at that time which is why I posted when I did. Got to wile away the small hours somehowsmile

lilymolly Thu 18-Sep-08 08:33:33

You know you must see a doctor dont you?
Have no experience of this, but know it can be fixed very easily through surgery.

bubblerock Thu 18-Sep-08 08:50:54

Google rectocele

cocolepew Thu 18-Sep-08 08:52:47

You have to go to your Dr. But you know this, so go.

fakeblonde Thu 18-Sep-08 11:28:38

ls go and see practice nurse if you cant face gp.Ask for gynae referral.
I had a rectocele repaired aged 26 !
Mine needs doing again as i had another child but i am living with it for now untili know i`ve completed my family.If you have any questions e mail me if they a bit TMI x

littlestrawberry Thu 18-Sep-08 11:58:23

Thanks for the replies.

Glad to know I'm not alone fakeblonde. Makes me feel a bit better. I will go to the Gp...eventually. I am more than a bit averse to the poking and prodding after my cancer surgery and I think more than a little bit worried it may involve another operation. My eldest was really affected when I was in hospital before, reluctant to put him anything like that again.

I guess my main question would be will it continue to get worse? It is a bit worse than it used to be but not masses. I know I sound daft but I'm wondering if I can ignore it for a bit longer with no long term effects or whether the treatment will be more complicated/ invasive if I ignore it IYSWIM.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 18-Sep-08 12:29:29


Don't go eventually, please visit your GP as soon as possible!!!!!.

Please do not ignore such a prolapse; the longer you leave it the worse it will be for you (you're feeling discomfort as it is and these things do affect your day to day life) and it may take longer to repair surgically.

Your fears are certainly understandable but don't let any embarrassment put you off - the doc certainly won't be embarrassed to see your prolapse - they've seen all this and far more before now.

fakeblonde Thu 18-Sep-08 12:30:24

I asked exactly the same question and consultant said put it off for as long as i can but before the menopause.
I cant stand for long periods,i mean realy long.Dont get constipted and if its really dragging at the end of the day buy a good pair of old fashioned support pants - mmm passion killer but hey it works x

littlestrawberry Thu 18-Sep-08 12:39:32

Thanks Fakeblonde, thats really interesting. Hopefully I have a few years to go before the menopausewink

But I will go to the GP soonish just so they are aware of it. Or I'll mention it at the hospital. I do see a gynaecologist follow up for the cancer used to be every 6 months but just gone to 12 months so if I don't get round to it before I'll mention it next time I see him.

MadameCastafiore Thu 18-Sep-08 12:42:34

Where are you - I had prolapsed front and back and crap scar from having DS and had it all redone - had terrible trouble peeing myself and being terribly constipated beforehand now I have the vagina of a 17 year old (so the surgeon said and he has probably seen a few) and no trouble with leakage or constipation.

My surgeon is wonderful and I woudn't hesitate recommmending him to you but he is based at Blackheath for private work and Woolwich for NHS - he is happy for people to be referred on NHS to him and even recently saw one of my friends for free!

littlestrawberry Thu 18-Sep-08 13:55:42

I'm on the south coast MadameCastafiore. I've no problem with the Gynaecologists in this area I have to say. The surgeon who did my hysterectomy was lovely and the guy who does my follow up is also great. So much nicer than the local Gp's who don't really seem to have enough time.

emma1977 Thu 18-Sep-08 16:07:05

Oi, go and see your GP!

I'm a GP and wouldn't be at all miffed to see you with this.

Its a lot more common in younger ladies than you would imagine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: