Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

breast cancer stage 3, some lymph involvement - what is likely to happen next?

(7 Posts)
Romy7 Wed 17-Sep-08 19:17:03

my mum had op to remove cancer last week and saw consultant today.
she was told grade 3
cells in lymph nodes but encapsulated.
she has to have a bone scan (presumably to check for any other sites?) and then see radiographer to decide how to manage? but radio will start within six weeks...
starting to get a little more freaked out now, as initially we were told 'oh, it'll be fine as we caught it really early'... but grade 3 and lymph doesn't sound quite so rosy?
can anyone who knows anything about this give me any useful info - i'm sort of wading around in statistics and stuff i don't understand... although i suspect i'm about to learn a whole lot more. good sites that explain in layman's terms? outcome?

robinpud Wed 17-Sep-08 19:20:38

So sorry to hear this; I am no expert but someone will come along soon, just keep it bumped.

megcleary Wed 17-Sep-08 19:22:30

www.cancerbacup.org.uk is a good site

Romy7 Thu 18-Sep-08 09:07:08

thanks ladies - and bump.

JRocks Thu 18-Sep-08 09:12:34

So sorry to hear this. My mum was diasgnosed in January of this year, she had a lump removed in Feb. Hers was grade 3 too, but not in the nodes.

There's a support thread here which may be helpful to ask some questions on, but do also use the cancer care and back up forums. They have sections for relatives and supporters too, and you can ask all the questions you want.

Whatever you do don't go wandering around the internet googling things - there's a lot of crazy stuff out there.

Highlander Thu 18-Sep-08 10:32:09

SIL had a grade 3 DCIS with lymph nodes, 9 at grade 1, 2 at grade 2.

she had a mastectomy, 8 weeks rest (I think). During this time she had CTs of head, liver and lung plus bone scan and an MRI of liver (CT showed spot that was a cluster of blood vessels).

months of chemo - outpatient for a day, every week (?? long time ago). rest of 4 weeks then radiotherapy.

She had a year off work.

The cancer spread to her bones but she is very responisve to a new drug and everything has stabilised. Still working FT. Oncologist told her to think of her cancer as a chronic disease, kinda like diabetes or something, rather than a death sentance. She found this very positive, even though she knows shw has a shortened lifespan.

She found the Bristol pathway very helpful.

Travel insurance - try a company called Pink - very reasonable rates unlike other companies recommended on cancer back up.

Romy7 Thu 18-Sep-08 11:26:46

Thanks both - i'll have a read of that thread JRocks.

highlander, mum is waiting for CT and bone scan appts, so i guess that will dictate the next step - thanks for sharing your SIL's experience. mum is already living with rheumatoid arthritis, so she might find that a positive way of looking at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now