Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need 3 teeth removed under sedation, how much will this cost and can I get any help with affording the treatment?

(12 Posts)

My dentist has just told me (after my ds reached his first birthday, so I no longer get free treatment, natch) that I need 3 teeth removing, under sedation. Does anyone know how much it will cost?

Also, if it's going to be a lot, is there any help I can get with the cost, or will they let you pay gradually? I get child tax credits but no benefits, I work part time from home, partner works full time but we're always skint.

tamarto Wed 17-Sep-08 16:13:51

If you have to go to a dental hospital to have them removed it wont cost a penny.

I don't think it's a hospital she's referred me to, just a health clinic. I don't know if our local hospital even does dental treatment.

HereComeTheGirls Wed 17-Sep-08 17:39:03

The dentist I work for charges £250 for sedation, privately smile We don't let you pay it up gradually though.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 17-Sep-08 17:39:38

Have another baby it'll be cheaper.

haha

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 17-Sep-08 17:40:40

But seriously, do you have a teaching hospital nearby, they often do procedures free or at a massively reduced rate.

Or you could go private with a payment plan (but with interest etc)

I simply couldn't afford £250, I'd just have to go have them pulled out individually without sedation (but with lots of fear and trauma) by the emergency dentist. Hope it's not that much...

Bloody teeth, they're more trouble than they're worth. I'm grumbling cos mine are on their way out, ds is grumbling cos his are just coming through!

MrsBates Thu 18-Sep-08 00:50:19

I had my wisdom teeth removed for free at a teaching hospital. No sedation but was nicely numb and had a lovely view of the Thames when the chair tipped back.

HereComeTheGirls Thu 18-Sep-08 08:52:40

If you are a NHS patient I'd be very surprised if you have been referred for sedation as a private patient without having been informed of the cost, so hopefully it will be a lot less than £250!

brightwell Thu 18-Sep-08 13:27:19

My 14 year old dd is having 4 out under sedation (orthodentic work)it's going to cost £190, I know she won't cope with having 2 out under a local & then having to go back & have the other 2 out.

HereComeTheGirls Thu 18-Sep-08 14:18:02

Actually, if you have asked for the sedation because you are nervous then it probably would be private and around £200. If the dentist recommended it to you it might be done on NHS but not sure. I'm sure you could call and ask them smile

avenanap Thu 18-Sep-08 14:27:06

Can't you phone them up and ask them how much it will cost? You should still be able to get these done under the NHS but you will still have to pay something unless you have an excemption card.
Here you go (cut and paste from the Department of Health)
what you should pay
From 1 April 2008, if you are not exempt from charges, you should pay one of the following rates for each course of treatment you receive:
Band 1 course of treatment – £16.20
This covers an examination, diagnosis (e.g. x-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, and a scale and polish if needed.
Band 2 course of treatment – £44.60
This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.
Band 3 course of treatment – £198.00
This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures or bridges.
Urgent treatment – £16.20
If you require urgent care, but your urgent treatment needs more than one appointment to complete, you will only need to pay one charge of £16.20.
These are the only dental charges your dentist should ask you to pay when you are having NHS treatment.
You will only have to pay one charge for each course of treatment – even if you need to visit your dentist more than once to finish it.
If you need more treatment within the same or lower charge band, for example an additional filling, within two months of completing a course of treatment, you do not have to pay anything extra.
Before you receive either Band 2 or Band 3 care, your dentist should give you a personal dental treatment plan with full details of what your dentist is going to do and how much it will cost.
There is no charge for repairing dentures or for having
stitches removed. Children under 18, and many adults, do not have to pay NHS charges. To find out about free NHS dental
treatment, see form HC11, Help with health costs, available at your local Jobcentre Plus office or from the Department of Health website www.dh.gov.uk
Your NHS dentist should provide all the care and treatment needed to maintain your dental health. To find out more about what you can expect, you can:

ask your dentist for a copy of NHS dentistry in England: information for patients

ask to see your dentist’s practice leaflet

contact your primary care trust (PCT), or see their website

visit the NHS choices website at www.nhs.uk or call NHS Direct on 0845 4647

go to the dentistry pages on the Department of Health website: www.dh.gov.uk/dental

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now