Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

large dose of antibiotics for 13 m old - what will happen?

(14 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Thu 24-Feb-05 19:46:42

really not with it today - I've just given dd's evening dose of antibiotics to ds (13months). She's on Augmentine and the dose is slightly high for her 2.9 years because of previous problems, although i don't know if each dose has a lot in it, or if normally you take it for 5 days, not the 7-10 she's on.

What should i do?

toomanypushchairs Thu 24-Feb-05 19:47:45

You could ring NHS direct or your local pharmacist if its still open.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 24-Feb-05 19:50:00

can't ring NHS direct. could ask the chemist i suppose.

toomanypushchairs Thu 24-Feb-05 19:50:48

oops sorry, forget not everyone is in england

tamum Thu 24-Feb-05 19:52:14

Senora, my ds had lots of courses of augmentin when he was under a year, and they were all 7 day courses. Now a healthy 10 year old. I can't imagine it will do him any harm at all. HTH

Tissy Thu 24-Feb-05 19:52:20

SP, what dose have you given him? One dose will probably do no harm, as in severe infections, it's not unusual for the dose to be doubled or tripled.

Slinky Thu 24-Feb-05 19:53:15

I'd ask the chemist - ours is very good and I trust him far more than I do the actual doctors.

DD2 is currently on Augmentine - she's been prescribed 2 x day doses for 14 days (have 2 bottles - one of which is still powdered that I have to make up on Day 8).

SenoraPostrophe Thu 24-Feb-05 19:54:59

I can't decide if i'm worried enough to go and see the chemist - they're not always much help.

Dose was 2.5cc of the lowest dosage stuff listed on the leaflet.

I remeber someone once saying to me that you can take a whole course of antibiotics in one go - it won't harm you but might make you feel rotten. is that true?

SenoraPostrophe Thu 24-Feb-05 19:55:38

dd's on 3 a day.

Tissy Thu 24-Feb-05 19:58:32

SP, I've just looked up amoxycillin (one of the components of Augmentin) in a paediatric prescribing book, and the dose for a 1 year old is the same as the dose for a 3 year old, so he should be fine.

Check with the chemist anyway, but don't worry

SenoraPostrophe Thu 24-Feb-05 19:59:38

Phew - thanks Tissy. Will go and look up the phone no for the chemists.

tamum Thu 24-Feb-05 20:04:34

Truly, honestly, ds had the same doses of augementin from babyhood until he was 4 or 5. I'm certain it's alright.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 24-Feb-05 20:06:56

Thanks tamum - I do actually trust your judgement more than I trust our chemist as it goes.

thinking about it now, he's more than half her body weight (no idea of the actual weight of either of them: am i a bad mum?) and she's on 3 doses a day so it must be OK.

Maybe it'll make him sleep better.

tamum Thu 24-Feb-05 20:15:11

I never knew my children's weight either, so you're not alone! Fingers crossed for him sleeping

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now