Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Particularly bad PMT - why tender breasts too?

(10 Posts)
Elf Tue 16-Sep-08 20:48:12

This month my PMT was particularly bad, due I think because we are moving and have loads of stress going on. Anyway, for the first time for years, I had tender breasts too. I thought it was a bit strange as I haven't had that for so long.

Do you think this was just another symptom thrown in due to the severity of the PMT or is there something in particular that can set off tender breasts? TIA.

Elf Tue 16-Sep-08 20:48:56

PS I'm not up the duff. grin

cocolepew Tue 16-Sep-08 20:51:50

I always get sore boobs, I can't even lie on my front in bed, they are agony. When I had a breast examine once the nurse said my breasts were full of gristle (sexy) and that makes them sorer hmm BTW try Fish oils for PMT and sore boobs, it really works.

Elf Tue 16-Sep-08 21:17:44

Cocolepew, lol at GRISTLE. Sorry to hear you suffer often with this. I was just asking because I was intrigued as to why I was suddenly getting this symptom when I don't usually.

Anyone else?

misi Tue 16-Sep-08 23:18:29

its an excess of oestrogen around the time of your period thats causing the tenderness

NormaStanleyBelcher Tue 16-Sep-08 23:20:10

You are up the duff

hth

grin

Elf Wed 17-Sep-08 16:06:32

Misi, oh. I must go back to my text book! Would I normally have an excess of oestrogen at that time or is this a new thing for me?

Norma LOL.

reikimarie Wed 17-Sep-08 17:17:25

I've found now that I take a strong B complex (in addition to a separate multi-vit and mineral tablet) I don't get sore breasts any longer.

It seems to really help.

Elf Wed 17-Sep-08 20:43:05

Aaaah Reikimarie, I think you have just caused the penny to drop. This last month or so I have been much less on the ball with my vitamin pills. That must be it. I shall start putting them on the side so I don't keep forgetting.

Thank you so much, the mystery has been solved.

misi Wed 17-Sep-08 20:49:38

when your period starts, your body increases the amount of oestrogen as that is the 'growth' hormone, it prepares the womb for the fertilised egg etc, toward the end, and no egg attaches, the body stops the oestrogen and produces progesterone as this clears out the tissue created to accept the egg. oestrogen also affects the breast tissue in a similar process, as breast tissue is very sensitive to oestrogen, each month the breasts swell slightly when exposed to this oestrogen and can cause tenderness in some women. these variances can increase with age so as women get older they may become more sensitive to oestrogen or less sensitive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now