Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unspecified rash - what should I do.

(9 Posts)
ginnny Tue 16-Sep-08 16:52:30

Ds2 is 5 and over the weekend he developed a nasty rash all up his arms and legs (nowhere else) he has no fever, his appetite is fine and he is full of energy as usual. I can't think of anything unusual he has eaten and I haven't changed washing powder or anything like that.
I took him to the doctors Monday morning and he really didn't have a clue what it is. He said to keep him off school for a couple of days and if it has gone send him back, if not make another appointment.
So it has faded a little on his arms but his legs are just as bad. I tried to make an appointment for tomorrow but he is fully booked now and I can't get anything till after school.
So what I want to know is - do I send him to school tomorrow or not?
He is completely healthy in every other way, but I don't want the other kids to notice and say something or for them to send him home.
I'm sure its not contagious as ds1 and myself haven't got it.
Any suggestions???

Seeline Tue 16-Sep-08 16:55:57

What was he doing over the weekend - possibly some sort of irritation through contact with something - crawling through long grass often brings my DS out in a rash for instance. Is it itchy or anything?

ginnny Tue 16-Sep-08 17:00:51

No its not at all itchy. I don't think he was doing anything unusual over the weekend.
The only thing that has crossed my mind is I used that Frontline stuff to de flea the cat on Thursday night, but he only saw the cat for about 10 minutes on Friday. I doubt he even stroked him (the cat is frightened of him and runs a mile whenever he sees ds2!)
Could that cause such a reaction?

HappyWoman Tue 16-Sep-08 17:02:12

There are so many viruses that can cause rashes - a couple of years ago my nephew had a resh that lasted a couple of months (sorry to worry you). The drs never really did know what it was.

Could it be due to the 'stress' of going back to shcool?

If he is well and would not feel too embarrassed i would send him tbh, and if it is contagious you will soon knowgrin.

Actually i came out in a rash on saturday - i think it could be change in the weather as well as the change in routine for me. But mine is just ichy and not visable.

HappyWoman Tue 16-Sep-08 17:05:01

if its only on his arms and legs i wouldnt have thought it was the frontline unless there was contact in those areas.

Do they ever wear other clothes at school? maybe someones pe kit or maybe from something like the pe mats....

kerryk Tue 16-Sep-08 17:57:28

my dd has had a skin infection before caused by scratching.

it came up as a strange rash all over her legs but cleared up with trimovate (sp?)

ginnny Tue 16-Sep-08 20:23:33

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll send him to school. I've written a note to his teacher saying its not contagious.
I'll feel guilty whatever I do!

ginnny Tue 16-Sep-08 20:25:46

Ah - HW he did come home with another child's jumper on on Friday, so he did have PE.
He's not stressed about school - he loves it.

ladylush Tue 16-Sep-08 20:31:08

Don't know ginnny, but at least doesn't sound serious and no temperature which is the main thing. Could've been an allergy to washing powder used by mum of said child - like HW suggested. Mums are programmed to feel guilty eh smile Hope it clears up soon. Very much doubt it's the frontline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now