Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

heavier periods after pregnancy

(19 Posts)
ilovetochat Tue 16-Sep-08 15:00:45

is it normal for periods to get heavier/more painful after having a baby?
I bf so didn't get my 1st period till dd was 9 months but they are regular again now. They are muc heavier than they used to be and last month i passed out from the pain.
not sure if i can take iron tablets while bf and i don't like to take strong painkillers either.

misi Tue 16-Sep-08 15:35:32

it may be due to a hormone imbalance that did not correct itself after the birth. if you have an amenable GP ask if they can arrange a hormone test if you are worried about this (I have had several clients like this and all have subsided after around 6-12 periods after restarting them)
have you any other problems that are not usual for you? moodiness, mild depression, iriitability, bloating etc?

bebespain Tue 16-Sep-08 16:36:21

I have also found the same thing has happened to me since having DS. In addition I have started having some spotting mid-cycle and am due to see a gynae about it next week.

I have also been told it could be a hormone imbalance so hopefully that´s all it will turn out to be.

My GP prescribed SERACTIL for the pain and heavy bleeding and they worked really well. I was also BF at the time but the pain was so unbearable I gave in and took them.

Good luck!

Sushipaws Tue 16-Sep-08 16:46:26

I found a huge change in my cycle after I had dd, I found my periods were lighter but lasted longer and had much more pain.
It's worth mentioning to your doctor though, just to be sure.

ilovetochat Tue 16-Sep-08 20:51:39

i am getting terrible pmt too, i feel like a crap mom because dd is driving me mad and i've got no patience with her.

misi Tue 16-Sep-08 22:14:15

ilovetochat, you are describing an excess of oestrogen imbalance more and more, the no patience/irritability along with the PMT is a classic too much oestrogen not enough progesterone situation. can happen after birth all too easily as it does take longer for the progesterone to get back to normal after its late spurt in late pregnancy. heavy bleeding, cramps and pain are also symtoms of excess oestrogen to progesterone, if you find that your hips and bum are becoming rounder and dare I say it, plumper, then you have the beginnings of a complete set grin

Pannacotta Wed 17-Sep-08 13:46:07

misi is there anything which can be done to correct this, perhaps natural remedies? Think I have the same problem, bad PMT, expanding hips and heavy, painful periods.

gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 13:52:41

I had the same after having DD. Terrible mood swings which would also happen at ovulation, longer, heavier periods and a very irregular cycle.

misi Wed 17-Sep-08 21:01:01

yes, 2 herbs work really well in correcting this. agnus castus is a herb that levels out hormones, it corrects imbalances whether you have too much oestrogen or too much progesterone. with this I always ''prescribe'' milk thistle as this helps the liver break down the excess hormones before they get a chance to be recycled back into the blood.

I cannot say this is suitable for you (I can't by law unless I have had a face to face consultation with you) but it has worked many many times. you cannot take agnus castus though if you are pregnant, TTC or breast feeding.

usually takes around 3 months to have a good effect but some reduction occurs at the first period if you start early enough.

I would reccommend you see a herbalist though as they will be able to tell you exactly when and how to take it, as some will take it every day for 3 months then wind down, others will only take it for a few days per month. to find your nearest qualified/registered/insured herbalist

Pannacotta Wed 17-Sep-08 22:52:59

Thanks misi, thought you might say agnus castus (have taken Milk Thistle in the past and found it excellent generally).
Sadly cant take it as am breastfeeding, but think I will try and get some RL advice.
Thanks for your advice, hope the OP finds it equally helpful.

misi Wed 17-Sep-08 22:58:39

pannacotta, there are many other herbs that work but you would be best to see a qualified herbalist to work out what is best for you.

I cleared my ex's ''stores'' out today, and the bags and bottles of herbs was amazing, I put 3 other herbs that would possibly be useful for you into the compost heap as they were out of date!!

hope you get some respite from this soon!!

ilovetochat Thu 18-Sep-08 16:26:11

thanks misi, i am still bf at the moment but it's useful to know for the future.

midnightexpress Thu 18-Sep-08 16:31:52

Funny you should post on this, was just about to ask the same thing. I had horribly heavy painful and irregular periods as a teenager, but they calmed right down in my 20s. My periods returned a few months ago after bfing ds2 and while not excruciatingly painful they are completely spacing me out every month - feeling nauseous, dizzy and as I say just zoned out for days and days

midnightexpress Thu 18-Sep-08 16:32:27

Sorry, meant to say, will watch with interest (see, told you I was a bit distracted grin)

sammysam Fri 19-Sep-08 10:10:14

Hi can i also ask-i've just realised how much min have changed since having dd-they are much more like they were as a teenager-heavy, painful, i'm very moody/grumpy, almost depressed (not helped by the fact we're TTC at the moment so REALLY don't want them!!), nauseous, dizzy and generally crap but i'm still breastfeeding dd (2.2) so not sure if there is much i can do? Would a hormone imbalance stop me from concieving? And who do i need to see?
Really need to sort things out asap so we can concieve grin and so i can feel normal again sad

misi Fri 19-Sep-08 11:38:22

excess oestrogen shouldn't stop you conceiving as the oestrogen is the conception enabler hormone and progesterone is the one that winds everything down at the end. your oestrogen levels will be slightly elevated anyway due to the breast feeding but saying that, far too much/out of control oestrogen can stop conception quite easily (one of my similies for this is that a car engine needs petrol to work, but flood the engine with petrol and it won't even start IYSWIM?). the only thing I can suggest is for you to go to your GP and ask to have your hormones checked out and go from there.

sammysam Fri 19-Sep-08 12:45:27

Thank you misi. Is there any natural way to get things into balance? Should i see a herbalist or homeopath? Can they help or do i need to gp to my gp? I have little faith in gps and from the experiences of friends and family i don't think they respond well to people asking for tests (my beast friend has shocking pmt etc-REALLY bad and she finally plucked up the courage to go and ask her gp and he said that hormone levels can't be tested shockangryI know this is untrue but i don't want to go and be sent away feeling stupid smile
I'll book an appointment this afternoon if you think they can help-really fed up feeling like this

sammysam Sat 20-Sep-08 18:45:30


misi Sun 21-Sep-08 20:25:33

sammysam, sorry, been away for a couple of days with my son!
I cannot help over the net unfortunately, its illegal for natural practitioners as well as mainstream doctors to diagnose or treat without a first face to face consultation.

but yes, there are several ways to balance the hormonal system as long as it is a simple imbablance and not a deficiency (like my thyroidism, I cannot treat it any other way other than synthetic thyroxine from the docs. I often use other people as an example for guidance but always reccommend you see someone especially with hormone probs.

I would definately suggest you go see a qualified and registered herbalist., enter your postcode and a list of nearest harbalists will come up. the NIMH is the main regulatory body of herbalists in this country.

some GP's are not usre what they can do nowadays and some are not allowed to order cwertain tests by thier PCT. even specialist docs sometimes do not know everything, my endocrinologist for instance says I know more about thyroid probs than he does and even afyer 8 years now, I am still under the hospital and him and he asks me each time what my nuggat of info is for him this time!!

I go by that if a private blood tesating facility can do a blood test for something, then it can be done if the GP wants it but it is often the PCT that says no. I am awaiting an answer from a GP if he will order a chem 20 blood test for someone, he had no idea what it was and so said no, I wrote a letter and he is consulting with his PCT.
hope thats of help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now