Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much for a private dermatolgist appt?

(9 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Sep-08 13:31:54

Does anyone know how much are private appts please? Also, if you are recommended treatment by a private derm can you then get your gp to prescribe them or would i be condemned to paying private prices?
thanks.

mabanana Tue 16-Sep-08 13:33:56

About £80-£150. You get a prescription from the dermatologist and this just means you pay the cost of the products which cost less than cosmetic creams or are generic antibiotics which don't cost a lot.
What's your problem? Have you been to see your GP?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Sep-08 13:47:20

mabanana - thanks its a bout of guttate psoriasis thats flaring up v. quickly this week.

Normally I go into gp and request creams, etc that I feel I need but I'm at a bit of a loss this time round. having waited for 2 months for a rheumy appt for PA and raynauds and still waiting (after first going spending 2 months going down the wrong path by seeing a hand surgeon) I'm beginning to feel a bit peed off with the whole lets try some creams then refer and wait 2-3 months to see someone and then wait forever for treatment. Experience tells me that the faster I get on top of this then the less time the flare will last.
Its a lot of money though - I'm not sure we can afford it. will have to talk to gp and dh and think about it.

mabanana Tue 16-Sep-08 14:57:49

Good luck. Maybe ask your gp which derm he was thinking of referring you to and finding out if that doc does a private clinic and how much that is (just ring the hospital and ask for the derm's pa)

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Sep-08 15:17:26

Thats a good idea - wasnt sure how to handle it. thanks

avenanap Tue 16-Sep-08 15:19:27

I would ask your gp to refer you to a NHS dermatoligist, the wait may not be as long as you think. You can always opt to go private for the initial consultation only. Just tell the consultant, this way you won't have to pay for any further appointments.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Sep-08 17:04:03

avenanap - I can't remember how long I waited last time. It was a few weeks. I think I'm just feeling a little disgruntled and grumpy in general today. Last winter gp would say things like I don't know whether to send you to a rheumy (for the PA) or dermatologist for the psoriasis so try x meds and come back in a couple of weeks. In the end she was right about the psoriasis - we did manage it ourselves but here I am almost a year later after first having seen her for the rheumy issues and having tried lots of different things, waiting for a rheumy appt.

oh I know I'm whinging and this is my second whingy thread today now! I must be a very awkward patient and I know these cross discipline things are hard to treat - am just determined to be a misery guts today. Good nights sleep and I'll be a lot less moany and a lot more reasonable!

Anyway blush thats a good approach to take. I'm going to ask the gp (who isnt my own) for some antibios cos if its infection related then the skin will start to clear in a few days. If it doesnt clear I'll make an appt to see own gp and ask to see a derm and go from there with decision making.

hopelesshousewife Tue 16-Sep-08 17:41:01

I took DD to see a private dermatologist (£130) and he gave me a list of treatments which I took to the GP and they prescribed for her. Have to say he was brilliant, we'd struggled for months to control flareups and touch wood have been fine since smile

If you need further tests though it might be better to go on the NHS, she's having allergy tests and they are £800 - though we have insurnce thank goodness.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Sep-08 17:46:04

£800!!!
Still, the intial consultation does sound worth looking into. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now