Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding from anus.

(41 Posts)
BlimeyThatHurts Tue 16-Sep-08 11:43:37

Have name changed, as I like to keep my anus private.

For the past few weeks whenever I've passed a stool - no matter how soft - I've felt myself tear and have bled. A couple of weeks ago it was quite bad and kept bleeding for an hour or so afterwards and took ages to heal.

I thought it had healed over the past couple of days, but have just been to the toilet - I felt it tear again and bled again. It flipping well HURTS! Real burning pain when I go and a dull deep pain for ages afterwards.

Anyone had this? Does it eventually stop?

bethoo Tue 16-Sep-08 11:44:14

sounds like piles

bundle Tue 16-Sep-08 11:44:58

blimeythathurts
Please go to see your doctor and get a referral if s/he thinks necessary. It may be piles, a fissure or something else but I would definitely get it checked out.

likessleep Tue 16-Sep-08 11:45:59

Is it itchy?
Is it bright red blood?
If so, agree with Bethoo.
Anusol suppositories are good. Manky to do (suggest clingfilm over finger!), but will really help.

likessleep Tue 16-Sep-08 11:47:37

Only thing is the deep pain which to me doesn't tally with piles?
Piles it can feel like you need to go to the loo when you don't.
Prob best to get it checked out.

BlimeyThatHurts Tue 16-Sep-08 11:48:03

No itchiness and can't feel any lumps or bumps, so didn't think piles.

Blood is bright red and dripping (sorry TMI).

BlimeyThatHurts Tue 16-Sep-08 11:51:14

Guess I'll have to go and get my butt out for the GP then. I was just hoping someone would say that they'd had it and it'd gone away as quickly as it came.

Thanks for the advice guys.

lizandlulu Tue 16-Sep-08 11:52:34

piles start from the inside dont they? so even if you cant feel any bumps, it will prob still be piles.

BlimeyThatHurts Tue 16-Sep-08 11:53:37

Great What causes them? Haven't strained lately or given birth.

bundle Tue 16-Sep-08 12:05:57

look here

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 12:07:25

believe me, your GP has seen so many bums during his/her practice it's like looking at feet to him/her.

there is nothing to be embarrassed about.

it could be an anal fissure or piles.

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 12:12:00

as for the more serious conditions, take some advice from sharon osbourne, who had colon cancer: 'don't die of embarrassment'.

bundle Tue 16-Sep-08 12:13:32

dh had anal fissure, he was pretty embarrassed about it but it was so uncomfortable that he knew he had to get it fixed. consultant was v nice and I held dh's hand smile

BlimeyThatHurts Tue 16-Sep-08 12:19:41

I've got an appointment for next week. I've had rectal exams before as I have IBS so know what to expect, just wanted to check that I wouldn't be wasting the GP's time.

BlimeyThatHurts Tue 16-Sep-08 12:20:15

I'm thinking more fissure than piles. How was it fixed bundle?

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 12:20:57

one of my good friends, who is childfree by choice, had a fissure and she soon got over all embarrassment.

as the only women she knew closely who'd given birth and suffered from ENORMOUS external piles during late pregnancy, i was her designated hand-holder.

at least she didn't have to have her fanny stitched up the way i did after forceps delivery.

it's all just bits to these doctors.

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 12:22:13

my friend had surgery to fix hers.

if these HUGE external piles don't go away after tihs baby is born, i'll be on the table next to you, blimey, cuz i want them gone and they've seen it all before.

CoteDAzur Tue 16-Sep-08 12:24:22

It sounds like anal fissure.

Eat cooked green vegetables every day, as they soften the stool.

Before you pass stool, smear anus (inside & out) with baby bottom creams. Afterwards, clean with baby wipes and reapply baby cream.

cali Tue 16-Sep-08 12:25:02

Sounds like a fissure, you might be given something to make stools softer as anything hard may make fissure worse.

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 12:25:57

but she's not constipated and doesn't have hard stools.

really, PLEASE go and see your doctor.

you can even see the practice nurse or request a female GP.

that's no way to live.

bundle Tue 16-Sep-08 12:26:18

various creams - one to anaesthetise, another to heal it inside. and yes, we bulk-bought silicon gloves!!!

much better option than surgery (applies to only small % of cases) and took a few months. gp tried GTN first, but that gave dh headaches and did nothing.

bundle Tue 16-Sep-08 12:27:03

dh had to take lactulose too, even though stools weren't hard.

CoteDAzur Tue 16-Sep-08 12:30:59

You don't have to be constipated or have exceptionally hard stools to have an anal fissure.

But if that is what you have, softer stools help it heal.

cocolepew Tue 16-Sep-08 12:31:15

The blood used to literally pour out of Dh. One night I went up and he had left a trail from the door to the loo and the toilet was bright red. He had internal piles that bled every tinme he went to the loo. Really, I didn't know piles could bleed so much.

BlimeyThatHurts Tue 16-Sep-08 12:31:29

I am seeing a female doctor next week. Poor woman - I am her first appointment on Monday morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now