Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena coil.

(9 Posts)
smurfgirl Mon 15-Sep-08 14:18:58

I am thinking about getting one, we use condoms at the moment which is not ideal.

Good idea, bad idea? I have done the research so am interested in the reality of it and not just what the websites say!

We will be married soon (would get it after wedding I think) and don't want to TTC for 3-4 years.

What does it do to your periods? At the moment I am very regular and my periods are very short and so I am keen not to make them worse.

When I was on the pill I felt weird as well, like I was not myself sometimes, does the Mirena do this?

And finally if you had one and then TTC did it take longer do you think? Thanks!

LaylaandSethsmum Mon 15-Sep-08 14:22:41

I have a coil but the copper sort not the Mirena. I chose the copper one as I didn't want my cycle to be disrupted as the mirena stops bleeding in most women eventually.
The one I have is hormone free and just as effective, it was quite uncomfortable going in and I had spotting for about a week after but has been fine since.

Niecie Mon 15-Sep-08 14:26:46

There are a huge number of threads on here about the Mirena. If you do a message search you will undoubtedly find many.

Some people love them, some hate them.

For me, I like not having any periods. Mine were also short and regular before hand and the Mirena made them disappear within a couple of months.

However, since i have had it I have put on a lot of weight and I do wonder if the Mirena is the cause as there is some anecdotal evidence that it can be.

Mine is due to be removed soon so it will be interesting to see if I can finally lose some weight or whether the copious amounts of chocolate I have taken to eating might really be the cause. wink

ClosedForCleaning Mon 15-Sep-08 14:42:02

If you know or suspect that the pill has had effects on your mood or mental wellbeing I'd be very cautious about the Mirena. Is that what you mean by feeling weird? If so, and you were my sister I'd try and talk you out of it. As it is, I'd say research carefully, which is of course what you're doing! I had a horrible time with it, but all was reversed once it was removed. But then I'm quite envious of those who can have it without any unpleasant side-effects - and there are plenty of them.

herbietea Mon 15-Sep-08 14:44:05

Message withdrawn

smurfgirl Mon 15-Sep-08 15:00:46

I felt irrationally annoyed sometimes - I know that sounds odd, but I would be chatting to DP and he would suddenly really irritate me for no reason, it didn't feel like me and I felt moody and I am not a hormonal person normally.

I just want something that means we don't have to use condoms

ClosedForCleaning Mon 15-Sep-08 15:36:28

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I'd really take that seriously as a warning. I turned into what I can now affectionately term a raving loon, but if I could remember what MN name I was using at the time I'd dig up an old thread and give a more accurate account. It wasn't a nice place to be. Would you consider the non-hormonal copper version?

Niecie Mon 15-Sep-08 15:48:28

This the main thread I was thinking about here

Bear in mind that people are more likely to post if they have a problem than if they don't.

Which kind of pill made you feel weird? If it was the progesterone only one then the Mirena is probably not for you.

If it was the combined pill then it is difficult to know because it could have been other hormones that made your feel weird. Also bear in mind that the doses of hormone are much lower in the coil.

As far as I understand, as soon as the Mirena is out your body starts to return to normal very quickly. You could take the chance and see if the Mirena works for you and have it removed if it doesn't.

I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do as we all react differently. On the surface I have been OK with it, good even, but I don't know if my weight gain is due to the coil or to having a baby. I had mine fitted 6 weeks after DS2 was born so my symptoms, if you want to call them that, could be attributed to either the Mirena or post baby blues.

Have you talked to your GP about it yet? Maybe the GP would have a better idea of whether the Mirena would cause the same problems for you as the pill.

anniebear Mon 15-Sep-08 16:14:15

I love my mirena!!

only thing is, I was offered it as I was haing probs with periods

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now