Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone else have daily headaches/migranes ?

(14 Posts)
Wisp Mon 15-Sep-08 14:07:21

I am at my absolute wits end with them, and everything the GP has tried me on hasn't worked

I have always suffered from migraines, and last year had my thyroid removed ( to due hyperthyroidism), and the daily headaches and migraines vanished and was only having about 1 migraine every couple of months.Brilliant.

At the start of August I had the most awful migraine that lasted 5 days, and ever since I've had had a constant one sided headache with a migraine aura, and the slightest stress or jerk, or even going in a car triggers off a migraine again. I wake up in the night the pain's so bad, and the headache is always there to varying degrees.

I've been on 4 different type of triptan medication ( all they have done is make my neck stiff, and give me insomnia!),I'm taking magnesium supplements, tried homeopathy and herbal remedies,and have now been put onto beta blockers, and anti-inflammatory painkillers.Also did a week with absolutely no tablets/painkillers, no difference.

I know there is nothing wrong with my brain, as I had an MRI scan 3 months ago to test for epilepsy ( which I still don't know if I have).

I'm going back to the GP's yet again, to get a full blood count to rule out my thyroid medication needing adjusting.

Any advice/sympathy greatly welcomed. Feel a wreck, and its really getting me down.

Bucharest Mon 15-Sep-08 14:08:44

Big sympathy here....My life has changed thanks to sumatriptan but I guess that doesn't work for yours anymore?
Good luck with the doc..x

snice Mon 15-Sep-08 14:11:08

A friend of mine had great sucess with cranial osteopathy -it could be worth a try?

My sympathies to you though -it sounds dreadful

RubySlippers Mon 15-Sep-08 14:11:44

oh Wisp - that is pants

have a look here

i have had 3 migraines in the past three weeks - i normally have a couple per year

am taking Maxalt which reduces but doesn't stop the attack

am going to speak to my GP again as they are getting more frequent

OrmIrian Mon 15-Sep-08 14:13:48

I rarely get migraines TBH, but for a long while I got very regular severe headaches with some vision disturbance and nausea, that I finally discovered were due to neck/upper spine problems. When I went to the chiro he asked if I'd ever been involved in a car accident it was so bad. Once I had that treated, with regular maintenance visits, and started yoga too, the headaches reduced dramatically.

I have no idea if that applies to you but it might be worth a try.

snice Mon 15-Sep-08 14:15:46

The other thing that occurs to me is-have you changed to low energy lightbulbs as some people react badly to them BBC news

Wisp Mon 15-Sep-08 14:17:22

Thanks everyone.
RubySlippers- Maxalt melt used to work a treat for me, but this time round it just reduces it, and I feel the pain moving to the back of my head & neck IYKWIM!
Then next morning it's back again angry.

Ive been referred to the neurologist (again) and its a 12 week wait.
*gently bangs head against wall*

OrmIrian Mon 15-Sep-08 14:19:12

Could you perhaps try an osteopath or chiropractor? Explain the situation to them. Most of them will give a free exploratory examination free of charge.

DrNortherner Mon 15-Sep-08 14:21:38

Interesting about thsoe low energy lightbulbs.

Wisp Mon 15-Sep-08 14:21:58

OrmIrian- Thanks-I'm def going to look into seeing a chiropractor. I would try anything now to get shot of this!

Every light in the house has low energy light bulbs, but we've used them for years....Evil flickering bulbs!!

OrmIrian Mon 15-Sep-08 14:23:16

Good! smile

MrsRecycle Mon 15-Sep-08 14:24:43

Sympathies, its awful isn't it. I get them daily and mine are due to neck problems. Discovered this when I went for physio and had a screaming migraine, told physio this, she literally pulled my head off my neck and the migraine completely disappeared. Whenever I use normal pillows they reappear. I've brought one of those neck shaped pillows (got it from Ikea) and reverted back to that and its gone. Plus a good massage from my beautician last night really got the pressure points out. My neck is killing me but at least the migraine's gone.

RubySlippers Mon 15-Sep-08 14:29:22

hmm - i didn't realise it could be a physical problem which could be rectified with some manipulation ...

as for lightbulbs - flourescent lighting is guaranteed to trigger and attack for me

my last attack on Saturday was utterly out of the blue - walking to lunch with DH and DS

no obvious trigger at all ...

MrsRecycle Mon 15-Sep-08 14:32:46

neither did I and I've suffered from them for decades. It truly is amazing now that everytime I have an attack a massage sorts it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now