Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help, I'm going bald!

(6 Posts)
nigglewiggle Sun 14-Sep-08 21:19:30

DD2 is 4 months and I have just started to lose my hair. It is coming out in clumps which is disturbing enough and I remember this with DD1, but this time I have a receding hairline either side of my forehead. Is this normal?

avenanap Sun 14-Sep-08 21:21:21

Your hair gets thicker during pregnancy, it normally goes back to how it was before the pregnancy. Maybe it's this?

nigglewiggle Sun 14-Sep-08 21:23:15

I know my hair got thicker during pregnancy, but I didn't have a receding hairline before!

nigglewiggle Sun 14-Sep-08 21:29:31

I am thinking of asking my HV, who is very good BTW, but I just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same?

KatyH Sun 14-Sep-08 22:03:34

Hi nigglewiggle,

exactly the same thing happened to me. It started when my dd was 4 months too and it was awful. While pregnant my hair was really long and thick and so I got a new hairstyle complete with trendy thick fringe cut in. Then it all fell out after the birth and I ended up looking a little like Michael Bolton circa 1987 blush My dd is now 8 months old and where it had receded I now have about an inch or two of tufty hair, so at least there are no bald bits anymore. It will stop, for me this was when she about 6 months.

Apparently it happens because you retain all your hair while you are pregnant (hence why it's lovely and thick) but then all the hair you should have lost over the 9 months goes very quickly once the baby is born and your hormones return to normal.

(((Sending you lots of baldy hugs!!)))

nigglewiggle Sun 14-Sep-08 22:11:50

Thanks, glad I'm not alone. I too have fairly long hair, so I can cover it. I was ready for general hairloss, because that happened last time, but I wasn't ready for male pattern baldness!

LOL at Michael bolton, I'm more of a Francis Rossi (StatusQuo)! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now