Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

low dose diazepam for dentist appt - how will it make me feel?

(19 Posts)
mankymolars Sun 14-Sep-08 19:41:26

Can anyone tell me how diazepam will help me through this appointment from hell? I ahve been prescribed 2mg of diazepam, I assume I take one tablet, say, an hour before I go? Will it make me woozy, sleepy or just that I don't care too much? Or will it just make me worry less?I am just so nervous sad

nickytwotimes Sun 14-Sep-08 19:44:08

It makes you feel good and like you aren't that bothered.
2mg is a tiny dose, so will just take the edge off the anxiety.
Good luck.

mankymolars Sun 14-Sep-08 20:55:05

Thanks nicky. I was hoping it might make me feel like I've had a couple of beers or something grin. But I need to be ok to collect my dd from nursery a couple of hours later - will come home and nap for an hour or so afterwards if I'm not too full of adrenalin!

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 20:58:05

2mg is a tiny dose

Depending on how you are with meds and things, you might not notice much

Hope it goes ok!

mankymolars Sun 14-Sep-08 21:00:01

oh no. NNB, do you think I should take more than 2mg? I have got to have some help to get myself there!

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 21:04:04

How much were you prescribed?

HAve you taken a sedative before?

Are you easily affected by medicine, alcohol?

It might be enough to take the edge of your anxiety, but is hard to tell if you've not taken it before, IYSWIM

mankymolars Sun 14-Sep-08 21:08:54

I have 10 tablets of 2mg, it does say take one as prescribed. I have taken sedatives, only sleeping tablets. Now I think about it, I have always only needed to take a low dose of those to have a very good night's sleep. One x 2mg probably will be enough, and at least I can take more if I need to when I go back for the really horrible treatment.
Thank you for your help, by they way.

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 21:13:41

That sounds like a good plan

I'd take it about 40mins before the appt time

And then next time you'll be able to judge whether you need a bit more or not

emma1977 Sun 14-Sep-08 21:33:55

If you have time to take a test dose then do- ideally the evening before. Then you will know how it affects you.

2mg should just make you feel a bit more relaxed than usual. However, some people a very sensitive to sedatives and it can really knock them out.

Whatever you do, don't drive or drink alcohol for the rest of the day after your procedure.

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 14-Sep-08 21:45:26

good luck with appointment manky !

mankymolars Mon 15-Sep-08 17:19:04

thank you. Unfortunately I have meeting tonight so can't do a test run! Should have thought about that before.SHouldn't need to drive as can walk to pick up dd, and although a good stiff drink will probably be what I need, I'll heed your warnings!I am dreading it....

tink123 Mon 15-Sep-08 18:34:20

I took 5mg diazepam, with half a bottle archers b4 a flight. Did not touch me!!!
Depends on individual person!!!

fakeblonde Tue 16-Sep-08 15:12:22

How did te appt go then ?

mankymolars Tue 16-Sep-08 15:49:32

well, I did it. the diazepam seemed to calm me a bit, still felt extremely nervous and burst inot tears when i got there but was certainly less shaky when it kicked in,and I didnt vomit or pass out as I occasionally do when I'm anxious!
thank you all for your help and support!

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Sep-08 16:58:18

hey, well done you grin !

bella1max2 Sun 06-Nov-16 01:52:44

any advice please,ive been prescribe diazepam 2mg to take as I need for extreme anxiety.i have a hospital app I cannot cancel again for skin cancer on my face .I wil only b taking these for this app,to get me there and hopefully stay for the op.how many should I take when I wake of the morning I'm unsure.and how long do they take to work .also how long must I leave it to take more if I'm still anxious.would appreciate any advice

Footle Sun 06-Nov-16 10:44:11

Bella, this is a thread from 2008 - look at the date on the posts. Start a new thread now , and you should get some help. Good luck !

Florence5 Fri 18-Nov-16 20:30:45

Hi, don't know if you have been already but just seen your question.. I think if you read the pamphlet (I have it in front of me) it suggests that you take a tablet the night before then one when you wake up and another 2hours before your appointment (5mg) .. That's for a dental appointment so I assume it would be the same for a hospital appointment depending on what you are having done (i.e. If it's not an operation that you're going for) and of course you can't drive so would need someone to take you.. Hope this helps!

Redglitter Fri 18-Nov-16 20:32:18

The thread was started in 2008 so hopefully she's been grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now