Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

abcessed tooth, how long before the antibiotics kick in?

(17 Posts)
Linnet Sun 14-Sep-08 00:36:32

Last weekend I had a niggly tooth, I thought I knew which tooth it was but when I got to the dentist on tuesday it turns out it was the tooth next to it.

anyway, he said it was the start of an abcess and gave me some antibiotics and I have an appointment this Monday, actually for different treatment but he said he might prioritise this abcessed tooth.

It's now Saturday night and my tooth is still aching. I can't eat on that side at all as it's just so painful. I've been taking all my antibiotics but it still aches and there seems to be tenderness on my face if I touch the jaw bone where the infected tooth is.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the antibiotics have taken this pain away by now? It's throbbing as I type and I'm worried that when I go in on Monday he's going to say it's still infected and I'll have to go away with more meds and come back. I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks time and I really don't want to have toothache while I'm away.

Anyone know if this is normal?

minorbird Sun 14-Sep-08 00:40:23

Hmm, I've just had this problem BUT the abscess/infection wasnt what was causing the problem, it was the root rot, so although it stopped it from weeping, I was still in pain. I had to take iboprufen and parecetmol every alternate 2 hours, to get it under control. I also found the topical anestetic, oragel (from boots for £5) which you can put on and gives relief for twenty minutes or so. (As long as it takes to eat a meal or get to sleep)

Other than that, the best thing is the dental work. I now get it dealt with asap after several of these problems! Best o luck! smile

Linnet Sun 14-Sep-08 00:55:27

That's maybe what it is then minor bird, root rot. The dentist did mention that he'd need to do work on the root, so I guess it could be that causing the pain and AB's are dealing with the infection. I've been taking Ibuprofen which does help for a while then the dull achey throbbing starts again. Roll on Monday so I can get it all fixed.

thanks

trumpetgirl Sun 14-Sep-08 00:58:32

Antibiotics usually work within 4 days.
If it is still painful, then it may be that you left it too long and now the antibiotics won't clear it up.
I have had several abcesses and it has always resulted in having the tooth pulled out. I have lots of gaps now.
If you have the tooth pulled, try to convince them to give you more antibiotics. (Voice of experience!)
I would use ibuprofen and co-codamol (or "paracetamol and codiene" as it's sometimes called) to help with the pain. Also, swilling whiskey round your mouth does actually work. Don't get too drunk though wink

minorbird Sun 14-Sep-08 01:01:36

Ouch Linnet, I still have a root problem myself! I'd take parecetomol too if I were you, its a lot of pills but it'll keep you comfortable, if only till monday! smile

PS - root canal treatment isnt as bad as some people have said to me, ask the dentist to make you EXTRA numb, I didnt feel a thing! And once the drillings over, thats the threat of pain over and its just a matter of cleaning the root canals (with a little brush thing which you cant feel) and then a filling or crown. Time consuming but worth it! Sorry if its TMI! Best of luck. x

Linnet Sun 14-Sep-08 01:01:53

I'm not sure if I left it to long. Tooth started hurting on Sunday and I couldn't get an appointment before Tuesday. I did have a cold last weekend though so I wondered if the bug had moved into my tooth, not sure if that actually happens though, lol

I take it you can do the ibuprofen then 2 hours later co-codamol?

trumpetgirl Sun 14-Sep-08 01:44:56

You can take ibuprofen and co-codamol at the same time. Take 2 of each up to every 4 hours (but not more than 4 times in 24 hours) and make sure you save some for night time as it's always worse when you go to bed for some reason!!!

trumpetgirl Sun 14-Sep-08 01:46:46

I'm not sure that a cold can turn into an abcess either, sounds kinda far fetched though!
I left mine a lot longer than that and my teeth were literally falling apart and the abcesses wouldn't go away, so maybe they can save your teeth... hopefully!

jalopy Sun 14-Sep-08 09:01:19

I'm following this thread with interest, Linnet.

I'm undergoing dental treatment for a cracked pre molar. The tooth originally had a large filling very near the root/nerve. Dentist has put a temporary crown on it.

I'm getting alot of sinus pain on one side of my face and gums ache. Discomfort was so bad I went to GP. She prescribed AB's just in case it was an infection. They haven't helped.

I'm due back for the permanent crown next week but I think he is going to have to do a root canal instead. I'm dreading it.

I so feel your pain at the mo.

Pheebe Sun 14-Sep-08 09:26:09

Root canal work is FANTASTIC!

Had it done on an absessed back tooth with 4 roots and on a front tooth - the relief was unbelievable. As someone said its time consuming but not painful. Mine took 3 hours, 1 of which was spent getting me numbed right up. There is no reason you should feel any pain at all, dentist can numb inside the tooth (direct to nerve) if necessary.

Defo insist on prophylactic antibiotics (to prevent the infection flaring again) and stock up on ibuprofen for the achy jaw from having your mouth open so long.

Got a poorly tooth again and suspect I may need another session. I used to have a real phobia of dentists and though I don't look forward to it exactly it's not the terrifying prospect it used to be

hth smile

trumpetgirl Sun 14-Sep-08 09:49:02

The funniest thing the dentist said to me when pulling 1 of my teeth out was that
There may be some pressure, it's not pain, but might feel like it is.
WTF??? If it hurts... surely it's pain!!!
I learnt eventually that the way to get around this pressure/pain problem is when they ask "can you feel that" when they've numbed you up, say yes once more after not being able to feel it at all grin

findtheriver Sun 14-Sep-08 11:00:00

Personally I would opt for extraction rather than root canal if it's a tooth that doesnt show. You know then that the problem is completely sorted, it's quicker and a lot cheaper!

minorbird Sun 14-Sep-08 11:09:10

I used to think that findtheriver but as I'm getting older and less teeth, I am now inclined to try and save them! Had 2 pulled at the back because I was afraid of root canal surgery but my new dentist strongly advised I give it a try and he would NOT hurt me. So I did and it was absolutely fine! And now I wish I'd done it before and still had a whole set of gnashers. grin

Linnet Mon 15-Sep-08 21:54:59

Well, I went along to the dentist today and he looked at my tooth and decided that the first antibiotics hadn't worked so he's given me a 2nd lot, stronger ones, to get the infection cleared up properly. Then I've to go back along on Saturday morning, really early sad, where he'll start some work on it.
So, it looks like it will be all sorted out soon, it's feeling a lot better today not throbbing so much but still tender.

piratecat Sat 27-Sep-08 18:36:19

how has it gone?

DuffyMoon Sat 27-Sep-08 18:50:38

toothache is THE worst....I'd rather give birth....at least you know it will end....eventually

Ellieee Thu 18-Apr-13 11:34:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now