Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glaucoma - can you help please?

(6 Posts)
Chocol8 Sat 13-Sep-08 21:27:44

The optician repeated the test where air is puffed into the eye last week when i had a check up.

She said the reading on one eye was different to the other and this could indicate glaucoma. Will have tests at the hospital in a few weeks time, but just wondered if anyone has any experience of this please?

MegGriffin Sat 13-Sep-08 22:31:05

I have had Glaucoma tests at the hospital. They put drops in your eye to numb them. They then get a hand held probe thing and put it on your eye. It sounds much worse than it is and doesnt hurt at all. The drops to numb may sting but only for a few seconds. where I had it done they dont even take you in to another room, just had everyone sitting in an area waiting their turn.

kid Sat 13-Sep-08 22:34:55

If they use the drops to make your pupils dilate, it might be a good idea to take sunglasses with you for the journey home. Your eyes will be very sensitive to the light.

DH had the glaucoma test done at the optitions and they didn't like the results. (His nan has glaucoma)
They took him into another room and did another test on him which came back fine and nothing else needed to be done.

Chocol8 Sun 14-Sep-08 12:38:47

Thanks for your replies. Meg, do you have glaucoma or did you (i hope) get the all clear?

And Kid, was your DH's test repeated at the opticians or did he have to go to the hospital?

I'm sure i'll be fine as no one else in my family - as far as i'm aware - has it, but just wondered about other people's experiences.

MegGriffin Sun 14-Sep-08 18:32:11

I was sent to the hospital because my eye sight went slightly blurry and my pupils were uneven. I had a number of tests at the hospital including this one. It looked to me that everyone there seemed to go through the same tests regardless of their visit but I could be wrong. My Dad has glaucoma and cataracts so that also makes me more likely to have glaucoma apparently. I did get the all clear but I have regular eye tests. Hope all goes well for you.

kid Sun 14-Sep-08 19:10:47

They took him off to a side room and did another test at the optitions. He had to use a clicker button and click it while looking through an eyepiece into a machine.

The first test they did was definitely the glaucoma test (puff of air) and they said they didn't like the pressure it showed behind his eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now