Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD suddenl;y has dry skin at age 2 - what's best to put on it?

(13 Posts)
Beatie Thu 24-Feb-05 09:41:31

We always bath DD in Infacil and her skin is great but, unbeknown to me, we have run out of Infacil and DH was bathing her in a shampoo/bodywash. Even though it is earth friendly stuff it has totally dried out her skin and she now resembles a baby elephant

I'm so unused to having to put creams and potions on her skin that I don't have much in the house other than baby lotion.

The baby lotion isn't clearing up the dryness and just gives a temporary sheen. Would baby oil be better? Any other suggestions? Her skin doesn't appear to be itchy, just very very dry to touch and in appearance.

WigWamBam Thu 24-Feb-05 09:44:16

Aqueous cream - and loads of it.

Beatie Thu 24-Feb-05 09:47:11

Thanks - can I buy it in any pharmacy?

Enid Thu 24-Feb-05 09:52:41

and just give her a bath in plain water with the aqueous cream as 'soap'.

dd2 (2) has had excema and still suffers with dry flaky skin and my miracle cure is the above plus Elizabeth ardens 8 hour cream (expensive! but one tube has lasted FOREVER) - it totally works.

Enid Thu 24-Feb-05 09:53:09

yes, you can buy it at any pharmacy, it costs about £1 for a ginormous tub

lunavix Thu 24-Feb-05 09:54:23

We use aqueous cream on ds (10 months) and me (older!)

I have bad skin problems on the top of my arms, its all dry and weird, and he already seems to have inherited it bless him. A few days of coating the both of us in it after a bath and it seems to have cleared up.

I don't use it as soap though, it disappears so I gave up!

Beatie Thu 24-Feb-05 10:13:21

OMG - I think we have a tub in the bathroom. Must go and check. DH has dry skin and buys his own cream and came back with a huge tub of something from Superdrug a few weeks back. It definitely begins with an A. I will go and look. Thanks everyone.

Beatie Thu 24-Feb-05 14:39:31

It was Aqueous cream DH bought. How's that for a stroke of luck?!

alzamina Fri 04-Mar-05 14:41:06

i can recommend dream cream from lush. is fantastic on j's dry patches

katierocket Fri 04-Mar-05 14:45:57

allergenics cream (you can get it from boots) - fantastic stuff.

dinosaur Fri 04-Mar-05 15:01:09

I'm a huge fan of DiproBase. We're all using it this winter in our house. Much more effective than aqueous cream as a moisturiser. We use aqueous instead of soap for the DSs.

jackeroo Fri 04-Mar-05 15:58:51

agree that diprobase is excellent - just started using it myself for excema-like dry skin and it's worked wonders.

Beccles Fri 04-Mar-05 21:25:03

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now