Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New Hearing Aids - can anybody help me understand what I am meant to be hearing? My loo flushing is SO LOUD!!

(21 Posts)
JuneBugJen Fri 12-Sep-08 17:13:49

Just got new digital hearing aids today as I have moderate hearing loss. Never had hearing aids before.

Good points: Up to now I thought my dd was a mumbler. She isn't, it was my problem. shock

Bad points: Why does the toilet sound like something out of the Posiden Adventure!!

Is this normal and will I get used to it?

SmugColditz Fri 12-Sep-08 17:23:11

Maybe it's because you have no 'voice filter' on your aids, which I think ears do have.

Have you ever had normal hearing? If so, does the loo flush sound the same as before?

If you have never heard one, well, loo flushes can be really loud, and go on for about a minute.

geogteach Fri 12-Sep-08 17:27:32

They take a while to get used to but if it stays a problem take them back they can be reprogrammed. They can adjust loads of stuff on modern aids, make a note of stuff that is too load so they have an idea what to change. DS1 wears aids and he used to have huge problems with things like road diggers, he would jump out of his skin, also background noise in the car was a problem.

JuneBugJen Fri 12-Sep-08 17:38:41

Not sure if hearing ever been particularly good, got teased at school alot for it but strangely not tested despite mother and grandmother having hearing aids by age of 20!

Always thought loos were a bit loud, but this is freaky, Smug.

Geogteach - how long did your DS take ot get used to it?

geogteach Fri 12-Sep-08 17:52:33

Can't remember really but at that age we were back for new ear moulds all the time so probably fiddled with about every 3 months to start with, now probably go only once a year except when he breaks them blush

GotNoDyson Fri 12-Sep-08 17:55:34

Did you get them measured/tested when they were fitted?

When DD had her digital aid fitted, the technician spent an hour adjusting it to make sure other sounds werent too loud.

If you did have this 'tweaking' session, then I'd say it's most likely that you are hearing things that you are not used to and given a couple of weeks, your brain will learn to 'ignore' noises.

Podrick Fri 12-Sep-08 17:57:31

Do you by any chance have otosclerosis?

CarGirl Fri 12-Sep-08 17:59:09

toilets are noisy tbh! Wait until you use the steam button on the iron grin

JuneBugJen Fri 12-Sep-08 18:52:44

just had them tested and measured today. She was great!!! smile

Podrick - not sure what I have, they think its part genetic as all of mums side a bit muff. also think it is industrial? Its a hodgepodge.

Thank you Dyson, hope it will stop being strange soon.

Is a steamer on the iron that bad Cargirl? Luckily due to my slatternly ways I probably wont need to test this for a while yet!

coppertop Fri 12-Sep-08 18:56:35

Mine took a few days to get used to. It was like discovering a whole new world.

JuneBugJen Fri 12-Sep-08 19:04:06

Really coppertop?

When does it start to sound normal again. At the moment it sounds like sound engineers taking the piss! The tapping on this keyboard is hilariously loud.

CarGirl Fri 12-Sep-08 19:12:22

My friends dd had grommits fitted, not long after my friend was stood doing the ironing and her dd asked what on earth that noise was!!!! It was the steam!!!!

I don't actually iron, so join me in my slatternly ways.

Soapbox Fri 12-Sep-08 19:12:50

Just out of interest - did you get them done on the NHS or buy them privately?

I really need to get some, but would like to know roughly how much they cost before I go and make enquiries

StillGotNoDyson Fri 12-Sep-08 19:29:06

soapy - you can get digi ones on the NHS - for free smile

My mum also got a new one a few months back. Digital, surround sound etc grin (well 2 settings for group and individual hearing).

JuneBugJen Fri 12-Sep-08 19:32:05

free on the NHS. The only difference is that they are less discrete (ie they still have that wire type thing going from the earhole to the beige thing that sits behind your ear)

Otherwise my audiologist was saying there was pretty much no difference.

DH home now and cant believe how much more speech I am hearing! Thinking sucess provinding the background noise lessens and it stops sounding like i am talking in a bucket.

StillGotNoDyson Fri 12-Sep-08 19:34:55

You will get used to it, I'm sure. Give it a week or two. Dont give up after a day like my mum.

Do you wear glasses by any chance?

JuneBugJen Fri 12-Sep-08 19:45:06

No, eyes perfect. Wont give up as really happy to hear my dd properly for first time.

JHKE Fri 12-Sep-08 19:51:14

Hi, i use hearing aids, have done for 30 years. It takes a couple of days to get used to new hearing aid. Each aid is different. Usually loud which then become norm. You can turn the volume down if its too loud and adjust over the next few days. I become aware of new sounds each time my hearing aids gets changed! lol

slightlycrumpled Fri 12-Sep-08 20:12:38

I'm really interested to read this as my DS2 is convinced he can hear the dishwasher swooshing noise when he is in the lounge above the tv!

JHKE Fri 12-Sep-08 20:19:53

Quite possible slightlycrumpled... When I got my digital hearing aids.. I could hear cars coming near our drive ( at the time, we had a long drive) before I could see them.. dh said he couldn't even hear them..lol..

Silly really they let us hear things I'm not bothered about, but other things that I would really like to hear, I can't.. maybe one day...

slightlycrumpled Fri 12-Sep-08 20:30:40

That is exactly the impression I get from him J.

When he first had them and we went outside he looked almost haunted by the sound of cars.

It must be really difficult for you all. Is it hard to distinguish where the sound is coming from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now