Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast pain and [blush] burping - GP baffled

(5 Posts)
Notquitegrownup Fri 12-Sep-08 11:08:48

Bit embarrassing, but I've had breast pain on and off for around a year. GP checked it out and sent me for a mamogram, just to be safe. All clear.

Sometimes the pain is dull and distant, sometimes really sharp, and sometimes it goes away. I've worked out that it eases when I burp, but the GP says there can't be a link as there are no connecting nerves.

Anyone ever experienced similar? Or got any brilliant ideas? I don't mind the burps, but I'd really like to know what might cause the pain, for peace of mind.

Marina Fri 12-Sep-08 11:15:47

It's good that the mammogram came back clear, but if the burping is a problem why not ask for a check on that instead?

combustiblemelon Fri 12-Sep-08 11:47:38

Acid reflux?

Marina Fri 12-Sep-08 12:22:55

That's what I thought too.
I wonder if the pain seems to be felt in the breast but in fact is referred from the oesophagus/diaphragm.
I think it is worth checking out myself.

Notquitegrownup Fri 12-Sep-08 16:54:13

Thanks ladies. I thought that too, but apparently referred pain from the diaphragm goes to the shoulder as they share a nerve. No known pain refers to the breast! It shouldn't be linked to anything!

The burping is not a problem in itself, and the GP didn't think it was a haitus hernia (?sp) or anything like that. It's the unexplained breast pain which bugs me now and then. I googled it, of course, and there was - for once - a reassuring page on unexplained breast pain being a mystery, and not necessarily indicative of any other problem. GP has offered to let me have another mamogram if I am worried, but just thought I'd try the wonderful world of MN to see if I was part of a select group, or entirely unique!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now