Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aching lower back when standing for longer than 5-10 minutes......is it just getting old/knackered joints?

(12 Posts)
ladytophamhatt Thu 11-Sep-08 20:54:05

Its ok when I'm walking around but if just standing in one spot it aches and aches.

I can't stand for as long as it takes to dry my hair for example....

Are my hip/pelvis/joints/back just buggered from childbearing or am I just getting old (at 35hmm)?

bebespain Thu 11-Sep-08 22:39:44

I´ve had this for many years so its definitely not an age thing. I´ve been told its a muscular problem. Like you I have the pain when standing, ironing is a nightmare.

I´ve seen a chiroprator several times for manpulation and it does work in the short term (its bloody fantastic actually) but the pain returns eventually.

Not much help sorry, just sympathy wink

avenanap Thu 11-Sep-08 22:41:37

Do you wear heals?

thumbwitch Thu 11-Sep-08 22:48:05

not just old age, sounds like you have problems with your sacro-iliac joint(s). You can:
a) go to your GP who will either offer painkillers and tell you to bugger off, or will refer you for physio which could take weeks if not months to be seen
b) go to an osteopath or chiropracter who will check your spinal alignment, manipulate as necessary and probably need to see you a few times
c) go to see a therapeutic massage person, or sports massage person, who will do soft tissue work (NOT a nice comfy massage) which might help and they might also refer you back to b)
d) buy yourself a pelvic support belt which helps to stabilise the sacro-iliac joints, like this one - it works really well (I have recommended it to a few clients and have one myself)
e) take up pilates (or yoga but make sure that the teacher is aware you have a back issue and is capable of dealing with it in a professional way, i.e. not just saying "well you just do what you feel you can")

HTH!

Earthymama Thu 11-Sep-08 22:50:34

I've been to see a physiotherapist as I've had really bad pain in my lower back, especially when doing things like unloading trolley at the supermarket.

She advised me to do Pilates-type 'zip & tuck' of pelvic floor and stand properly and it really has helped.

Give it a try, I hope this helps smile

www.vitalflow.com/Body+and+Mind/Pilates/Before+you+begin

thumbwitch Thu 11-Sep-08 22:52:32

whoops, should have said that it could be other issues with low back as well, such as over-curved lumbar curve for e.g.

An osteo or chiropracter will be able to tell you what it is - the physio will help if it is muscular but not if it is structural; the massage person will refer you to osteo or chiro if they see structural issues. The doc will only be any use if you actually have a damaged disc.

ladytophamhatt Fri 12-Sep-08 06:52:09

Sorry i vanished last night.

Will the GP refer me or do i go direct to a chiro/oesteo person?

NotQuiteCockney Fri 12-Sep-08 07:02:34

You don't need to go see a GP. (And, imo, chiro/osteo people are quacks - you normally can't get referred to them by GPs any more than you can get referred to fairy dust practitioners.) Just do pilates - your core muscles are weak, and need to be strengthened. The exercise Earthymama recommends is the right one.

thumbwitch Fri 12-Sep-08 09:04:02

it would be better if you could avoid the gp altogether as you don't really want anything about backs on your notes (insurance issues) - BUT if you have disc probs then there is no avoiding it.

Chiros and osteos are NOT quacks and are trained to high professional standards - you look for one either on the website of the General Chiropractic Council or the General Osteopathic Council. And some physios and doctors will 'refer' you to an osteo (i.e. suggest you see one) if they don't think they can help you, but you don't need to be referred. (object to unhelpful backward thinking! angry)

try the exercise - if it doesn't work for you, see someone.

mou Fri 12-Sep-08 09:28:29

With TW on avoiding GP about back problems re insurance issues. I broke my back and have struggled to get income insurance.

My life saver when it is bad and i have to get on with life are 'cura heat' pads. like having a hot water bottle strapped to your body and i find they last much much longer than the specified time. I wouldn't get through the winter without them. Of course they don't take the problem away but the relief is lovely. I've thought about trying a tens machine.

I was overweight and the loss of 4 stone has helped a bit, also studying the Alexander technique helped with posture and mental attitude to long term pain.

Like you i can't stay in one position for long so on the go like the duracell bunny.

Niecie Fri 12-Sep-08 09:35:41

How old is your bed?

I have a bit of something similar from standing too long and it is definitely the bed that has caused it.

It isn't that old but I have never found it very comfortable. Some mornings I wake up and feel like I have aged 30 years over night.

At the moment the stiffness wears off over the course of the morning but standing up for long periods is not good at any time.

sarah293 Fri 12-Sep-08 09:38:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now