Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

painful mouth ulcers - what can I do??

(7 Posts)
andyrobo237 Thu 11-Sep-08 20:02:15

Both myself and my DD (6) have ulcers on our tongues - I thought I was bad with about 6 but I have counted over 20 on her tongue - she must be in so much pain. We are using teething el as a first resort - but is there anything we can do - and why have we both got them??

Both are in good health generally (apart from tiredness caused by DS!!) but they are getting on my nerves now!

Any bright ideas?? I can get to a chemist tomorrow lunchtime - but my tongue feels like it is on fire sad

avenanap Thu 11-Sep-08 20:04:45

Gargle with warm salt water, this should keep them clean.

I would go and see the GP. One or two is normal, recurrent ones are normally because of a sharp tooth. It's not normal to have this many though. Make sure you boil all your drinking water aswell. Do you have any other symptoms?

Ellbell Thu 11-Sep-08 20:14:15

Anbesol is good, though it stings like hell when you put it on.

Once when I had a hu-u-u-u-u-u-uge one which was so painful I couldn't speak I went to the doctor's and he gave me some teeny tiny pills (think they were antibiotics) to dissolve against it. They were like magic - it was gone in about 12 hours.

Sympathies though. Ulcers are awful. They do seem to run in families (my mum, my sister and I are all prone to them).

TheBlonde Thu 11-Sep-08 20:14:54

Go to GP
They can prescribe paste stuff

andyrobo237 Thu 11-Sep-08 20:16:08

not really - I am generally feling run down but this is probably due to four broken nights with DS who is 19m and teething! Also a bit of lack of appetite as well! I am due to have a general anaesthetic on Monday so need to try to get back to full health else they may not operate (only on my vein in my leg!)

I will try the salt water gargle.

AbricotsSecs Thu 11-Sep-08 20:19:08

Message withdrawn

avenanap Thu 11-Sep-08 20:19:52

I would go and see the GP about these though, it could ba a sign of an infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now