Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

molluscum

(23 Posts)
mwasc Thu 11-Sep-08 19:34:03

DD has had spots for at least 6 months. She has them all over arms , legs and body.....far too many to count ( unlike some posts I've seen) She has mild eczema anyway so this is added problem. any up to date solutions?

GrimmaTheNome Thu 11-Sep-08 19:40:33

We were told to just leave it alone, but that if we really wanted the GP would deal with them (think it was freezing off). They really DO go eventually - hopefully your DDs dont have too much longer to go.

It seems to be one of those things I never heard of as a child which is now v common.

mwasc Thu 11-Sep-08 19:44:15

Thanks, just dismayed that new batches continue to arrive and she is scratching at them a lot and bleeding.Was hoping a miracle cure would be out there...just need to be patient i guess

iwantasecondone Thu 11-Sep-08 19:45:40

May not be the popular view, but I know that I had it recently (yes, I know you are not supposed to be able to.) and I was told by GP if I gently squeezed out the little white bit inside (pearly hard bit) that they would go. They did. In 10 days.

mwasc Thu 11-Sep-08 19:47:21

She has so many I would never get round them all....or would i need to ?

DisasterAreaIsOffToCostaRica Thu 11-Sep-08 19:49:42

tea tree is supposed to work.
i have them too blush in my groin blush some have gone - left with a few stubborn ones that no amount of squeezing will affect

TrinityRhino Thu 11-Sep-08 19:51:32

dd2 has alot of them
I tried squezzing some of them but the screaming was too much for the oth of us
the hard white bit is not easy to squeeze out
may be worth a try but be warned it someimted is very painful

Dropdeadfred Thu 11-Sep-08 19:52:52

what is molloscum? what causes it? (goes off to google)

Dropdeadfred Thu 11-Sep-08 19:52:57

what is molloscum? what causes it? (goes off to google)

Dropdeadfred Thu 11-Sep-08 20:04:32

oh...it's highly contagious....

is it common then?

Seona1973 Thu 11-Sep-08 20:04:32

DD had them and I tried both zymaderm (stinky and stings if you get it in their eyes) and colloidal silver but neither made much difference. She now only has 1 left after having quite a few in the crook of her arm, her face, front and back. They have been there for at least a year but thankfully no new ones have appeared recently. The best thing that happened was when dd went in for an eye operation and the surgeon removed all the bigger molluscum from her arm and from her face!! They did check it was ok with me first but I think that definitely helped. A bit of a drastic way to get rid of them though.

Seona1973 Thu 11-Sep-08 20:06:54

it seems to be getting more common. My dd got them from her cousin who got them from her friend across the road (they had had sleepovers so that was most likely when they had been picked up). DD's cousin doesnt have them any longer but her 2 brothers have managed to catch them too. I am just waiting for signs of them on my ds now.

swiftyknickers Thu 11-Sep-08 20:09:34

my son has them in the crook of his arms-they get really big and almost pop. what causes them? the doc didnt say

combustiblemelon Thu 11-Sep-08 20:12:02

It's a form of pox virus isn't it?

Seona1973 Thu 11-Sep-08 20:13:53

it is a skin virus (related to the pox virus I think) More info here

iwantasecondone Thu 11-Sep-08 20:15:01

very warm flannel on them before trying. Obviously, don't do it if it hurts them. Some are worse than others.

milge Thu 11-Sep-08 20:17:47

I popped them and got the hard white bit out.I did it in the bath so the skin was warmed up and gave a shot of nurofen just before just in case one really hurt. All gone and ds had loads around his neck line and behind his ears. He used to scratch them and they spread like wildfire. The popped ones did bleed, but they have all gone now with no scarring.

swiftyknickers Thu 11-Sep-08 20:18:50

wantto go and squeeze them all now!!

Seona1973 Thu 11-Sep-08 20:21:53

I squeezed a couple of dd's and after all the screaming and histrionics decided not to do any more. It was easier to leave them to go by themselves (although I did accidentally wink knock a couple of heads off after a bath when they looked as if they were going to pop any minute)

mwasc Thu 11-Sep-08 20:33:29

Does letting the child scratch them do the same job?

Grumpalina Thu 11-Sep-08 20:45:06

My 8 year old had them about two years ago whne he was six. They started on his right arm and then started spreading. i took him to the Dr but they just told me to let it run it's course. However I did some research and found a product called Molluscum No More from the following company www.forces-of-nature.org. My son suffers from exczema but the product stated it was organic and all natural.

Within 4 weeks they had all gone and when I started the treatment it was starting to spread onto the other arm and trunk of his body. Basically after about a week it started to make the white core 'pop' out (admittedly with a bit of assistance) but as the core was coming out anyway there was little discomfort for my son.

iwantasecondone Thu 11-Sep-08 21:00:43

DO NOT let them scratch! When they get broken they are contagious so if you scratch instead of pop, it will spread it.

Grumpalina Thu 11-Sep-08 21:16:05

Yes scratching is the worst thing ever. That is why it was spreading with my son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now