Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My 12 wk old baby cryning non-stop. why?

(12 Posts)
bunny2 Wed 23-Feb-05 14:53:02

She has always been extremely content and calm. then on Monday she spent the day crying and sleeping, yesterday she had quite alot less milk than usual, today she is back to crying/sleeping/crying cycle. HV suggested prune juice after assuming constipation was the culprit. Can constipation (or wind) make her this uncomfortable? She hasnt got a fever but I am still worried.

bunny2 Wed 23-Feb-05 15:03:14

ump

Frizbe Wed 23-Feb-05 15:05:55

oh hugs to you its horrible when they cry and you can't find out what it is....
Have you tried infacol, just in case? I take it the HV's assumption is because of missing poo? How long has it been? is she still feeding ok?
Sometimes dd seemed to cry when she had a big grow? don't know if that's of any use to you?

hamster Wed 23-Feb-05 15:08:53

Its so hard and frustrating to try and understand little people when they can't tell us a single thing, especially when they look in pain! My boy suffered really badly with colic and constipation from 4weeks until about four months. My h.v pointed out a very good point to me; although they get plenty of milk, they still need water in small doses. So with giving colic drops and perhaps 3 or 4 fl ozs a day, it eventually eased it.
I don't think we can truely ever know what we've done has helped that much. Sometimes we do all we can and it's still not enough. If she's clean, warm and fed(as much as you can)then just relax as much as you can. You'll know if there's anything seriously wrong!

hamster Wed 23-Feb-05 15:10:38

don't worry too much x

bunny2 Wed 23-Feb-05 15:10:44

thanks frizbe - have given her infacol today but no burps yet. she has pooed a bit but not huge amounts for 4 days now so it could be the culprit but i thought if she as constipated she would be straining to go but she isnt. also she is sleeping more than usual - could this be linked to a growth spurt?

bunny2 Wed 23-Feb-05 15:12:24

thanks hamster - posts crossed. I always worry that it is somethinng serious, i am a terrible worrier! She seems tobe in alot of pain and she has never had colic before - can it make its first appearance at 12 wks?

hamster Wed 23-Feb-05 15:16:22

I think that nothing has a set rule in the world of babies. They're all different like us I s'pose. When I first had mine, it was hard to get my head around the amount he cried. The neighbours must've thought I was beating him! Is she your first?

bunny2 Wed 23-Feb-05 15:19:29

no, i have a ds, nearly 5, so cant really remember what he was like at this age. It is just so out of character for her

hamster Wed 23-Feb-05 15:31:49

Keep in mind that the little so and so's change all the time. Have you tried dentinox? I found it so much more effective than infacol

KathH Wed 23-Feb-05 17:56:36

i think with infacol you have to use it for a few days for it to work? altho tbh i never found it much use.

Hayls Wed 23-Feb-05 18:00:19

Do you think she could be coming down with a cold or something? My dd is always grumpy for a couple of days before showing any signs of a cold. HEr first one appeared at 6 weeks and I knew something was up the day before because she was a lot more irritable, even though nobody else believed me. It could be constipation but I don't know much about the symptoms of that.
Try not to worry, I'm sureyour mother's insticnt would let you know if there was something going on
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now