Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pins and needles in hands

(7 Posts)
dizzymama Wed 23-Feb-05 13:21:59

My Dd is now five weeks old and all is well apart from this very strange pins and needles / cramp sensation I keep getting in my hands and arms. Now she's no light weight at 10ib 10oz but it doesn't just happen after I've been holding her for a length of time, it also happens if I'm holding the phone, a pen or even if I'm just sat still (a rarity I admit !) Any ideas what this could be, it only came on when she was 2 weeks. It's not painful but can mean I can't pick her up when she's crying as it sort of goes into 'dead arm' and I'd be afraid of dropping her!

popsycal Wed 23-Feb-05 13:23:14

Not saying it is this, but I got the exact same thing when ds was about 3 months old.and it was caused by a trapped nerve in my arm pit - probably caused by leaning over the cot...

dizzymama Wed 23-Feb-05 13:25:14

How did you get rid of it popsycal, or is it just a case of letting it run it's course?

popsycal Wed 23-Feb-05 13:28:39

Letting it run its course I am afraid...and not leaning over cot with armpit resting on the bar!

There is something called carpal tunnel syndrome (which I know nothing about) which can give similar symptoms..

dizzymama Wed 23-Feb-05 13:30:16

That's the name I've been trying to remember! knew I'd read about something similar! Hands also get really, really cold when this happens (yes, I know it's snowing, but even when it's fairly warm!)

Chuffed Wed 23-Feb-05 14:14:36

The nerves that feed your arms originate in the neck so it could be coming from there.
Book an appointment with a dr for a referral to a physio, they can give you stretching exercises if it is just nerve shortening but there are more significant things like carpal tunnel.

dizzymama Wed 23-Feb-05 19:03:23

Thanks Chuffed, think I will contact Gp as is becoming quite annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now