Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Whiplash ?

(35 Posts)
NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 12:54:58

As some of you may have read, I had a fairly minor (but still scary) car accident this morning. Accident was not my fault and I have got all the relevant info I need to chase up the insurance to recoup the repair costs.

I felt physically ok after the accident, apart from being v shaky and tearful. Although I have now started with a dullish ache and stiffness in my neck and shoulders/upper back. My right wrist is also a bit twingey. I don't think any major damage has been done, but do you think my neck stuff could be whiplash ? Or does that come on immediately ? Accident was at around 10.30am.

All help appreciated

jessicasmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 12:56:32

whiplash can take up to 3 days to show and is not immediate.... i used to work in motor claims and we very rarely believed anyone that said the pain was immediate.... go to docs, get it noted and then put in claim to ins company.... definately a whiplash injury.

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 12:57:29

Thank you. I'll make an appt

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Feb-05 12:57:32

I think these things can get worse over time. Also, as the shock wears off, you'll find your injuries.

I'd apply alternating hot + cold to all your injured bits (20 minutes of each), and take the maximum dose of iboprofen ASAP, and keep taking it for 24 hours, at least. (That's assuming you're not pregnant or BF. I'm dreadful at keeping track of these things.)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Feb-05 12:58:00

Oh, yes, docs. And physio if you can get it - they're good at these sorts of things.

popsycal Wed 23-Feb-05 12:59:45

NDM - i had a minor car accident over 5 years ago now and the same thing happened. Straight to docs hun - it usually takes time to get worse.......With me, it persisted for quite a long time.

Hope you are ok

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:00:03

Thanks, am neither preg nor BF . It has only just started really so I'm ok without pain relief for the mo. I'll keep my eye on it and will def get it noted

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:01:25

Is it possible that DD will present with similar damage ? Especially given that she was closest to the point of impact ? .

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:02:02

She is 2.5 and was strapped into her Britax 1st Class car seat at the time of impact.

jessicasmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 13:02:17

it is possible, but to be safe i would get you both checked out. how old is dd? call docsd straight away - please x

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:04:47

2 and half years old. She is asleep, has been since 11.15 ish.

jessicasmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 13:07:11

i really think you need an emergancy appointment for both you and dd.... if that nap seems longer than usual it may be as a result. please please please call docs

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Feb-05 13:08:42

NDP - the iboprofen is not for pain relief - it's for reducing inflammation. It can help reduce the damage you suffer. So even if you're not in much pain yet, the iboprofen can help avoid things being worse later.

My physio used to tell me to take it before doing any exercise that was likely to result in soft tissue damage.

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:11:20

Just called the GP and was advised to get straight up to A&E especially since DD was so close to the point of impact

jessicasmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 13:11:43

thought they might say that... please go x

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:12:27

GP said that there was no point in me going in to see them as they'd just refer me to A&E anyway. Told me that I should have gone straight to A&E after the accident

jessicasmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 13:13:02

are you going? please do just to be on the safe side.

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:13:54

I will go. Will have to sort out school run alternatives for the boys though first. Joy. Been told that I can wait until DD wakes.

jessicasmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 13:14:29

good good. let us know how you get on..... im thinking about you xxx

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:15:09

Thank you, I really appreciate your help.

Bagpuss30 Wed 23-Feb-05 13:17:06

NDP, go to the GP's, as others have already said. We have a major accident on the motorway just over a year ago. I felt fine initially but when I woke up the next morning it literally hurt to breathe . It has taken 12 months to get over the recurring symptoms of our crash but it is important that you log it with the GP asap as this may have a bearing on any claim you wish to make.

Also, just to reassure you, my dd had a britax eclipse seat, ds had a trio and both were uninjured (we had been span, thrown up a steep enbankment and rolled several times) and walked away from the crash . Make sure you replace the seat btw as it may have hidden damage (sorry if you knew that already )

Our GP had a policy of making people pay for an appointment following an accident (which is supposed to be claimed back from the insurance company) so be aware, yours may try to do the same!

Good luck and ((((((hugs)))))) to you both, it must have been very frightening for you.

lou33 Wed 23-Feb-05 13:17:41

blimey hope you are all ok!

Bagpuss30 Wed 23-Feb-05 13:18:51

Just to second NQC, we were told to take ibuprofen too, for about a week I think.

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:28:49

just phoned a friend who has very kindly offered to collect my boys for me and keep them until I'm done at the hospital. DD still sleeping, which is normal for her. Will wake her at around 2 if she doesn't wake herself. Left a message on DH's answerphone explaining what's happening with the kids.

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 13:30:06

Feeling terrible that I might've left my DD with unchecked injuries. Scared

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now