Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To the MNetter that removed her own coil...

(11 Posts)
bootsmonkey Wed 10-Sep-08 20:07:43

I don't know if you still post, but I remember reading a thread ages ago where you said you had taken out your own coil.

What did you do? Did you have second thoughts about it getting stuck or somesuch??

I have been unable to get an appt with my doctor on 3 occasions now and was tempted to DIY in the bath tonight, but chickened out!

What are the risks to doing it yourself - are there any doctor type people out there who would like to comment/advise. Surely it is just a case of getting hold of the threads and pulling??

maidamess Wed 10-Sep-08 20:13:58

Now I don't have a coil, but the thought of yanking this out makes my blood run cold!.

I think theres a reason why it has to be done by a qualified person.

Yorkiegirl Wed 10-Sep-08 20:21:31

Message withdrawn

TequilaMockinBird Wed 10-Sep-08 20:23:12

I agree with maidamess <shudder emoticon>

bootsmonkey Wed 10-Sep-08 20:23:19

Well part of me thinks it should only be done by a professional, but there again, you pull the strings - surely that is all there is to it??

Yorkiegirl - a) did it hurt and b) did it 'stick' at all. Respect!

liath Wed 10-Sep-08 22:12:24

Don't do it alone in the bath in case you faint.

Reallytired Wed 10-Sep-08 22:14:43

Forget the GP appointment.

Just go along to your family planing clinic. You don't need an appointment and the nurse will do it for you.

You can get the address of your nearest family planning clinic in the yellow pages.

Yorkiegirl Wed 10-Sep-08 22:16:06

Message withdrawn

Charmander Wed 10-Sep-08 22:37:42

I took my coil out myself. It had already come out from where it should be and I was in a lot of pain. So for me it hurt a bit but was worth it because of the agony I was it.
If it is in place I would not risk it and would go to family planning.

lucykate Wed 10-Sep-08 22:43:06

i had a coil removed by a doctor, didn't hurt at all, was really quick, much easier to get out than put in, she didn't use any of the equipment they use when putting them in either, just got hold of the strings and pulled. she said that the arms of the coil are made so they bend upwards as it comes out.

Evenstar Thu 11-Sep-08 00:21:48

I wouldn't try it, pieces can break off them a nurse told me that had happened with one of her ladies and she had to go for scans to check that it hadn't done any damage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now