Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How soon can i swim after a C-section and can i wear a tampon?

(11 Posts)
SazzlesA Wed 10-Sep-08 20:04:29

Message withdrawn

PestoMonster Wed 10-Sep-08 20:07:33

I don't think you can swim whilst you are still bleeding and definitely shouldn't use tampons.

No no no

Ewe Wed 10-Sep-08 20:08:29

I didn't swim until after my 6 week check and no to tampon until your first period.

saralou Wed 10-Sep-08 20:12:10

no tampon!

i would say wait a few more weeks till you swim..

water supports your body so well, that you don't feel any pain or damage you may do until you get out of the water

and at the moment the best indicator for not doing something is feeling pain

(i can explain that so much better in real life!!)

SazzlesA Wed 10-Sep-08 20:14:58

Message withdrawn

saralou Wed 10-Sep-08 20:15:42

risk of infection!

nowwearefour Wed 10-Sep-08 20:17:09

i would have thought that if you are not bleeding then is ok. but i would have thought that an advantage of a c section would be that tampons should be ok much more quickly? seems odd to me not to be able to wear a tampon esp just for 30-60 mins or so.....

Sidge Wed 10-Sep-08 20:19:01

Until the uterine walls have healed (they will still be raw where the placenta was attached) it's not advised to use tampons as they can introduce infection.

You should be OK to swim and use tampons from about 6 weeks, but we advise women to wait until they've had their post-natal check just to make sure.

SazzlesA Wed 10-Sep-08 20:19:45

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Wed 10-Sep-08 20:21:11

Message withdrawn

shinyshoes Wed 10-Sep-08 20:22:53

I bled for 6 weeks after the birth of DD1. it wasnt a period bleed and was told I couldn't wear tampons.

I bled a couple of days after my 6 weeks check for a further 4-5 weeks hmm, i STILL DIDNT WEAR A TAMPON AS i DON'T THINK IT WAS A PERIOD BLEED.
(SORRY CAPS)

I bled again after a 1 week break , I believe this was a period bleed and wore a tampon it worked out about 3 months after DD1 hmm

I'm the extreme though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now