Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just found out DD has the trots.... The hard way :(

(15 Posts)
NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 09:23:24

DD (2.5) and I often share a shower in the morning, it's the only way I can get clean without her wrecking the house !

We were happily showering and had pretty much finished when all of a sudden there's this smell. I look down to find that there is diarrhoea all down the shower door and in the shower tray, on my feet and on DD . Absolutely hideous. She's had what I thought was a vomiting bug over the last 3/4 days, but it seems to have progressed to the runs too. YUCK YUCK YUCK

I'll have to keep her off nursery today & tomorrow too, so finding time to do the housework will be nigh on impossible <sigh>

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 09:32:29

Any tips for a toddler with the trots ?

LIZS Wed 23-Feb-05 09:35:37

eugh you poor things. dd had a bit of it yesterday but it was only the one bout (fingers crosssed) and she did eat a bit during the day. See if she'll nibble plainish food and drink clear fluids. If no repeat by afternoon try something a little more substantial like banana. Is she still in nappies ?

hayleylou Wed 23-Feb-05 09:38:30

Apparently according to my HV children have a lactose intorralnce when they have diarrhoea and she said the best thing is soya milk!!

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 09:39:33

Yes, she's in nappies (thank goodness!)

NomDePlume Wed 23-Feb-05 09:40:06

I'm pretty sure it's a bug rather than an intolerance to milk.

handlemecarefully Wed 23-Feb-05 09:43:01

Just give her diarolyte to correct the electroyte balance (probably got that wrong, but if I have Aloha will correct me - she generally does), in the past I have just given water not diarolyte and ds just keep getting worse. Was ticked off by my GP.

handlemecarefully Wed 23-Feb-05 09:45:53

Probably should have just said it replaces the salts she will loose as a result of diarrhoea

gingernut Wed 23-Feb-05 10:05:58

It does sound like a bug - you'll just have to ride it out but you can improve matters by limiting milk/dairy intake and sticking to plain foods. Lots of pasta or rice can help to bind things a bit so the poo is less runny. But it depends on what you can get her to eat (and if she doesn't want to eat at all till the bug's out of her system, don't worry).

You may have to pop out for extra nappies, sometimes they just keep doing lots of watery poos so you're changing them all the time. Don't worry if this happens but try and keep her fluid intake up.

Yuck at the shower thing!

Frizbe Wed 23-Feb-05 10:26:09

On the other hand at least you were in the shower and its wasn't all over the floor! hope you don't catch it as well.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Feb-05 10:31:21

I second the dioralyte suggestion, it really works. You give one does every time she has a "loose movement" as the box so charmingly causes it. Dioalyte is just sugars and salts, not medicine in the usual sense, so there's no harm in it, and it often sorts out the trots.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Feb-05 10:31:43

causes = calls

How does sore throat cause slow brain?

Mummymonster Wed 23-Feb-05 10:42:48

Ds has had D & V since early Monday am, he now just has the D now (lovely huh). He was laid up all yesterday but seems perkier today, demanding his trains and Duplo. However, I don't think chewing green wax crayon helps the situation

As we had done 48 hrs or trotting, I called the GP and was told to try starving him for 24 hrs. Just offer cooled boiled water.

This should be fun as he is a greedy little muppet but needs must.

Mummymonster Thu 24-Feb-05 12:13:58

Hello

Just thought I'd let you know that the starving seems to have worked, tho I failed to make it to 24hrs as he was so hungry. I offered plain pasta which he wolfed and this morning, clean nappy!

Yipeeee!

Banana and a slice of toast today, no trots, Boiled rice and chicken breast for tea, keep yr fingers crossed.

Mummymonster Thu 24-Feb-05 17:03:12

OK..........plan failed!

The scrambled egg came straight through (ewh!) and the GP has suggested back to the fast.

Now officially fed up, both of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now