Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help! I've finally made that dentist appointment but....

(24 Posts)
mankymolars Wed 10-Sep-08 11:35:27

I'm not sure that I can go through with it sad. My GP recommended me one and prescribed me with some diazepam. Today, I went to the surgery, burst into tears, the receptionist was lovely and said the dentist is great, she'll have a chat with me and absolutely no treatment will be done that first time. But as I left, I was sick in the road, my anxiety getting the better of me.
Please tell me that the diazepam will make it better for me. I'm so ashamed of the fact that I haven't been for years and I know it'll be ten times worse if I leave it any longer, especially if my dc's feel my fear!

kaylasmum Wed 10-Sep-08 11:46:52

Hi, I'm exactly the same as you, absolutely hate the dentist and did'nt go for a number of years. Only went when the pain got too much for me. I had to have a tooth out 5 months ago and when i got to the dentist i was shaking with fear, he was great, he said he would'nt do anything there and then and that i should ask my gp to prescribe me some diazepam. I took 2mg the night before and then 4mg in the morning about 3 hours before my appointment. I felt so much calmer than before and the extraction went fine.

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to pass your fears on to your dc's, i felt the same, but luckily my partner has no problems going to the dentist and he takes them, in fact my DD actuall enjoys going! Do you know what treatment you'll be needing? You could also ask for sedation, my dentist mentioned this to me but i feel that the diazepam is enough for me at the moment.

Anyway good luck, and the anticipation is always worse than the actual treatment.

watsthestory Wed 10-Sep-08 11:49:09

Message withdrawn

mankymolars Wed 10-Sep-08 11:55:41

this is just what I needed to hear! I haven't had toothache or anything but they are very sensitive and my gums are definitely receeding, although they don't bleed.I will definitely need something doing, my teeth have never been the strongest, had a few fillings in my teens and one in my early 20's then stopped going.
I'm not sure how the diazepam will affect me. I won't be ble to take it until about and hour before I go as I have to be at work. I'll also have to collect dd about 2 hours later, will I be ok to do that? I don't want to mention the whole thing to dp as he will take the mick as he always has done about this particular fear angry

watsthestory Wed 10-Sep-08 12:05:04

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Wed 10-Sep-08 12:05:44

Message withdrawn

EyeballsintheSky Wed 10-Sep-08 12:12:16

Another phobic here but my teeth are a shambles, totally disgusting and even if I could get myself to go, I'd be thoroughly ashamed to let anyone see them. You all sound like your teeth were ok.

watsthestory Wed 10-Sep-08 12:14:27

Message withdrawn

mankymolars Wed 10-Sep-08 12:25:04

I can walk to the dentists and walk to collect my dd if needs be, it's at 2pm on tuesday. I really cannot share this with my dp, well, maybe if I get this first one out of the way! You're right that the worst is the anticipation of what might need doing.

Eyeballs, I know exactly how you feel but why not have a go too and we'll compare notes? I will apologise once at the start for the state of my teeth i think, and then hope that she just respects the fact I want to sort them out! The thought of having extensive work or loosing teeth has pushed me, and I don't want my daughter to have a hang up either.

notcitrus Wed 10-Sep-08 13:20:17

Just to say I was prescribed diazepam for my first smear test, and it worked perfectly - I was relaxed but not out of it, for about 2 hours. And haven't needed any since.

Good luck with the dentist - sounds like you have a good one!

mankymolars Wed 10-Sep-08 13:41:42

thanks notcitrus - a couple of hours with the edge knocked off my anxiety is what I'm hoping for. I can't believe this has affected me so much!

watsthestory Mon 15-Sep-08 18:05:09

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Mon 15-Sep-08 19:52:44

Message withdrawn

mankymolars Mon 15-Sep-08 21:19:12

Thank you so much for thinking of me watsthestory, I am touched. Still ****ing myself though but in 17 hours, it'll all be over...for now!

EyeballsintheSky Mon 15-Sep-08 21:21:19

Fingers crossed for you. Let us know how it goes and hopefully you might inspire me

mankymolars Mon 15-Sep-08 21:24:47

thanks eyeballs. I''ll keep you posted....if I get through it!

watsthestory Tue 16-Sep-08 07:42:58

Message withdrawn

mankymolars Tue 16-Sep-08 15:40:41

I DID IT!!!!!grin grin grin

thank you SO much for your support, I wouldn't have got through it without you. i had an awful morning at work, shaking, crotchety but took the diazepam and walked the half hour to the surgery. it didnt help that there were men drilling the road outside or that she was running late - I told myself I'd wait 20 mins but no longer! I went in, burst into tears but she was lovely, said she didnt even have to look today or anything. After a chat, I agreed to let her look but only use the mirror and her fingers.
Guess what, apart from needing 2 very old fillings replaced at some point, and a thorough clean, I don't need work doneshock. I am going back next week for her to clean them (so glad she will do it herself, not the hygenist), then, if I manage that, I'll make an appt for the fillings.
She was so non judgmental and totally accepting of my fear, and was happy to progress at my pace. She deserves a medal! And I feel so proud of myself blush!

watsthestory Tue 16-Sep-08 15:42:59

Message withdrawn

mankymolars Tue 16-Sep-08 15:52:54

You're right, WTS, I'm not usually mankymolars but I can't fess up to my real posting name.... yet!
Give me a few weeks and I'll be posting as 'beautiful molars'grin

watsthestory Tue 16-Sep-08 15:54:13

Message withdrawn

mankymolars Tue 16-Sep-08 15:57:48

NO, I can't 'come out' just yet!
I do have a self-satisfied smug sort of smirk about me but not a bag grin!

mankymolars Tue 16-Sep-08 15:58:54

'a bag grin?!?!?!hmm
I meant a BIG grin of course!

watsthestory Tue 16-Sep-08 15:59:08

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: