Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Deodrant for girls

(19 Posts)
Bunch Wed 10-Sep-08 11:18:28

What age did your DD start needing deodrant? Just discovered that my DD81/2 is getting a bit whiffy and wondered if it was too early. Also, with all the different types around is there a nice 'natural' one available.

RubyRioja Wed 10-Sep-08 11:20:01

same age (peer pressure mainly grin) but chose a mum one.

Kbear Wed 10-Sep-08 11:20:22

bought deo for my dd at 8.5, don't know about natural ones but Sure for girls is the one I buy.

CatMandu Wed 10-Sep-08 11:20:40

DD1 just turned 9 has been using deodorant for a few months now. It's taken a bit of time for her to get into the routine of washing under her arms in the morning and using it, but she's got there. I took her to Boots to chose her own deodorant, which strange as it may sound she enjoyed. It was a nivea one, so not particularly natural.

nickytwotimes Wed 10-Sep-08 11:21:17

Lush have some nice 'natural' ones. They are solid bars and they smell lovely.

Bunch Wed 10-Sep-08 11:22:03

I guess I'm just in denial that she's growing up!! I'm sure I was much older than 8 when I started using it!! Or maybe I just smelt really bad..... Maybe that's why I had no friends.....

Bunch Wed 10-Sep-08 11:23:06

I was just concerned after all that publicity about cancer and deodrants and thought maybe 8 was a bit young to start with something that she's gonna use all her life.

Jux Wed 10-Sep-08 11:25:04

Same here. I got Crystal deo over the internet. She doesn't always need it, but she likes using it.

sugarplumfairy Wed 10-Sep-08 11:30:22

My DD2 started getting a bit whiffy at 7.5. I bought one of those crystal sticks from boots, which seems to do the job.
I have 2 older children who didn't need to use anything till they were 10 or 11 and they started using roll-ons, but I thought 7.5 was a bit young fo those.

allgonebellyup Wed 10-Sep-08 11:32:10

8 sounds very young!
my dd is 9 tomorrow, is tall for her age and does loads of sports and gymnastics (16hrs a week)but i havent yet noticed her being "smelly" apart from her greasy hair- yik!

i dont think i wore deodarant til i was about 12/13 and i only started cos i remember my mum pointing out in the middle of Waitrose that i "ponged" a bit. blush

allgonebellyup Wed 10-Sep-08 11:33:10

deodorant

Kbear Wed 10-Sep-08 11:37:58

I thought 8 was young but if you whiff you whiff! She has a bath or shower every day but I would hate for someone to call her smelly at school so deodorant it is!

MinkyBorage Wed 10-Sep-08 11:38:35

why not try Toms of Maine, completely natural, no alluminium. If it dioesn't work, you can switch to the hard stuff.

spinspinsugar Wed 10-Sep-08 11:51:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoorOldEnid Wed 10-Sep-08 11:53:28

no smelly pits here (dd 9 in a couple of months)

greasy hair after a couple of days though and the odd teeny whitehead

I would deffo get the no aluminium stuff to start with

knowing me probably something ridiculously posh like dr hauschka

elkiedee Wed 10-Sep-08 11:55:46

There's something called Pitrok which is sold in Waitrose as well as direct online, probably in other places too (maybe larger branches of Boots etc).

PoorOldEnid Wed 10-Sep-08 11:56:20

i use that

its good

Kbear Wed 10-Sep-08 12:15:16

I thought the aluminium thing had been discounted as a problem - will have to go and read up. I worry more about the fumes they breathe in when we walk to school (healthy walking to school, you're having a LARF!!).

saramoon Wed 10-Sep-08 18:11:29

Well my DD1 is nearly 4 and at the end of hot days - yes we have had a couple this year! - she smells a bit!!!! I was horrified the first time i noticed. she is only 3 and 11 months. Looked around on the internet and found that it is not that uncommon.
My hubby is from Africa so maybe it has something to do with his genes - although he never smells of BO really. Anyway, just to let you know that it can happen really young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now