Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bell's palsy during pregnancy

(4 Posts)
mamacita Tue 09-Sep-08 18:55:50

I had horrible bell's palsy when I was pregnant with my first child 3 years ago. It took 3 or so months to recover, courses of steroids, physio, electrodes etc. Plus all the horror of not being able to talk, eat or drink properly for ages. I'm now pregnany again and worried that it will happen again. Just wondered if any Mum's have had similar concerns and if so is there anything I can do to help prevent it? I was thinking of acupuncture, vitamins etc?

midnightexpress Tue 09-Sep-08 19:00:45

Haven't got any advice but wanted to sympathise - I had BP a few years ago (not when pg) and it was ghastly - took ages to recover and I still get twinges when I'm tired.

But, if it helps, I've had two pgs since then and it didn't recur during either.

Good luck!

spookyfish Tue 30-Sep-08 14:45:31

Hi there,
I got BP when I was 37 weeks pregnant with my son last April. It was teh result of a very painful Herpes Simplex virus which resulted in a lot of pain and blisters in my ear. 18 months later, I am still having physio and acupuncture and am using a facial stimulator (great by the way). Although things are improving, i still cannot smile and get involuntary twitches and pains in my face. My advice is to keep as healthy as possible and not to get too tired. Apparently, folic acid helps strengthen and repair nerves but best to check with a Dr or physio.

I would really like another baby, but am very scared, just like you, as my confidence has really hit rock bottom since becoming ill last year.

I hope all goes well with you and just try and keep as well as possible and sleep as I think the jury is still out as to whether it will reoccur in subsequent pregnancies

Good luck and keep well x

hypomum Wed 01-Oct-08 10:20:12

hi, i had bp with first baby. did really go properly for months, then fell preg with second one when first was only 8mths, so could have no treatment.
didn't get it with second child.
started botex to lift eye about a year ago, much better. still worried i'll get it again when run down and quite self consious.
i defo got it from stress!!
Try to rest alot...I didn't and i moved house the week before i gave birth. My photos of me and my first born were awful!!
Good Luck.
I've been on another thread, but i'll keep an eye on this one in case you have any other questions.

take care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now