Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this a leave-it-and-it-will-get-better or a go-see-the-gp?

(16 Posts)
Miaou Tue 09-Sep-08 16:02:52

I have a heavy cold and a cough, had it since the w/e. Throat is sore, now chest is sore too (all the time, but particularly sore when I cough). I feel like I have a heavy weight pressing on my chest. Not breathless atm but then I haven't walked anywhere today as I feel so rubbish. Can't talk without coughing. Never had a chest infection so nothing to compare it to; is this likely?

Miaou Tue 09-Sep-08 16:14:38

Boo hoo nobody cares

<<cough cough>> <<wheeze>>

funnypeculiar Tue 09-Sep-08 16:17:27

Humm, as someone who ignored a persistant cough for about 3 weeks, before being told it was a severe infection, my advice may be slightly unhelpful smile - have you tried ringing NHS Direct - they're very useful for that sort of thing, imo. Sore chest could just be muscles aching from so much coughing...

AMumInScotland Tue 09-Sep-08 16:18:08

It sort of depends how it's sore IYSWIM? It could just be the muscles between your ribs feeling sore from the coughing, in which case there's not much they can do. But if it's sore but not the muscles then it could be an infection.

Are you coughing anything up - if so, and it's not clear, that tends to go with an infection.

Sidge Tue 09-Sep-08 16:18:56

You should see the GP or nurse practitioner. You may have a chest infection; do you have a fever? Are you coughing anything up? What colour is it?

justaboutagrownup Tue 09-Sep-08 16:19:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Tue 09-Sep-08 16:20:59

Poor you I'd go to GP.

moonmother Tue 09-Sep-08 16:21:15

Could leave you coughing on your own....

I probably would go to Gp's if your chest is that bad it could be an infection.

Know how you feel though,my Dp's had this since Saturday and today I woke up with the start of it, and have been frantically dosing myself up with cold and flu tablets,orange and lemon juice with honey and hot water, in a desperate attempt to stop it in it's tracks.

Hope you feel better soon

moonmother Tue 09-Sep-08 16:22:07

Sorry that was supposed to read couldn't

grin

Miaou Tue 09-Sep-08 16:29:36

Aw I feel loved now grin

Justabout, am on my second dove now, it looks brill wink

It just hurts all the time - not just when coughing - but not more when I breathe in and out IYSWIM. Cough is dry though (good sign, surely?)

Good idea about ringing NHS24 - might give them a go later.

justaboutagrownup Tue 09-Sep-08 16:35:07

Miaou Tue 09-Sep-08 16:38:22

LOL justabout, am working hard you know wink

Will do the green one next, the image that brings to mind is not great ...

Sidge Tue 09-Sep-08 17:39:21

Dry cough is better news as less likely to be an infection, but if your breathing gets more painful you might want to be seen anyway - pain on breathing can be a symptom of pleurisy.

Miaou Tue 09-Sep-08 17:59:46

OK have made appointment for tomorrow afternoon - breathing getting more painful and now my glands are out like footballs hmm. Typical - dh has just managed to get loads of overtime this week too!

justaboutagrownup Tue 09-Sep-08 21:06:51

justaboutagrownup Tue 09-Sep-08 21:08:00

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now