Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TEETH

(7 Posts)
Zebraa Tue 09-Sep-08 13:49:03

Hello,

I have a lump on my gum above my tooth (left hand side, upper teeth) and I went to my dentist last week and they informed me that it's a root canal filling that has got infected, so gave me a course of anti-biotics to see if they clear it up. They haven't! She told me if they didn't, I'd have to have my tooth out but as it's at the front they can replace it with a bridge, but 6 months after having the tooth out to allow it the heal.

So, anyone familiar with this? I'm worrying cos I've still got this lump. Is it normal?

Also, does bridge work hurt?

Zebraa Tue 09-Sep-08 14:02:58

Bump - I'm worried sad

AvenaLife Tue 09-Sep-08 14:07:28

Is it sore? Did they take an xray?

Zebraa Tue 09-Sep-08 14:15:06

She didn’t X ray it, she just knocked each tooth until I screamed “OW” then felt my gum and said “oh that does feel tender”. Then wrote me out a prescription and told me to come back if it doesn’t clear up!

AvenaLife Tue 09-Sep-08 14:29:18

Ahh. It sounds like you need to go back. sad When they bang on it and it's painful it's a sign that the nerve is affected (normally through an infection).

Zebraa Tue 09-Sep-08 14:44:27

Oh I see now. So is the lump on the root of my tooth/gum normal then in this situation

AvenaLife Tue 09-Sep-08 14:47:27

It could be that the infection in the root has made it swell up (the infection must be quite bad), it will need cleaning out. Ouch! It must be painful. The lump will be a absess inside the gum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now