Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High prolactin levels??

(9 Posts)
ontheup Tue 09-Sep-08 12:24:56

I have just had blood taken to test for high prolactin levels. Has anyone got experience of what the implications are if I come back positive? I am currently ttc DC2 with some difficulty (mc in March) so wonder if I do have high levels whether this is something that can be fixed so as to improve ttc chances. Any thoughts? Thanks

misi Tue 09-Sep-08 13:59:26

prolactin levels can become elevated just prior to menstration causing breat tenderness. this is because when oestrogen and progesterone levels subside it can lead to a decrease in the secretion of prolactin inhibiting hormone (dopamine) which usually keeps levels under control. elevated levels of prolactin have been indicated in the disruption of ovulation and mentral regularity.
excess levels of prolactin are also found in women with fibrocystic breast disease and may be a factor in amerorrhoea.

in my field, prolactin can be controlled to a point with certain herbs by either binding with the dopamine receptors and mimicking the effect of dopamine in its ihibitory capacity of prolactin or reduce the effect of prolactin. other vitamins and supplements can stimulate synthesis of dopamine or can reduce the sensitivity of breast tissue to prolactin. in modern medicine, I do not know what the current treatment is so cannot comment on it I am afraid.

hope this helps

PeppermintPatty Tue 09-Sep-08 14:08:05

I didn't have a period for about 10 months and it was because I had high prolactin levels. So it could possibly affect your chances of conceiving.

I think it depends what is causing the levels to be high, as to whether it can be fixed or not.

Mine was due to the medication I was on, as soon as I stopped taking it my periods came back.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Sep-08 14:58:35

Peppermint

Were your LH and FSH levels tested as well, if you hadn't a period for 10 months this is often due to underlying hormonal imbalances (in this regard a condition called polycystic ovaries is often the culprit).

If your LH and FSH were not tested these should also be looked at (those two hormones are important as they kickstart the ovulation process). Prolactin is only part of the story.

Excess prolactin can result in anovulation but this particular problem can be treated with tablets (bromocriptine).

ontheup Tue 09-Sep-08 18:20:54

Very interesting re the link w dopamine. I have early onset Parkinsons which is basically your brain not making enough dopamine so I think there's a link there. I don't want to take PD meds though as we are ttc. Do you know if there are meds or other alternative meds/ herbs which are safe to take when ttc? Thanks v much - its all been so stressful recently that I just want to get to the bottom of this now.

PeppermintPatty Tue 09-Sep-08 18:28:20

I think all my hormones were tested because they were trying to determine why I hadn't had a period. But only prolactin came back as abnormal. It was many, many times higher than it should have been.

ontheup Tue 09-Sep-08 21:10:27

bump - help please!!!

misi Tue 09-Sep-08 21:49:49

ontheup, I cannot advise you over the net unfortunately, as a practitioner I would need to see you and take a full med history including the latest blood results. there could be a causal link between the low dopamine levels of the early onset parkinsons which would explain the high prolactin levels, but I would need to know the other hormone levels to make sure I knew what I was saying iyswim?

low dopamine/high prolactin on their own could be the early onset, but to reduce prolactin and increase dopamine would possibly affect the parkinsons. If you are interested in the herbal side I would suggest you see a qualified practitioner. depending on where you are, I could reccommend someone or you can look up one near to you at www.NIMH.org.uk the NIMH are the main regulatory body for herbalists and only have qualified experienced people on thier lists. when you get the listing, if you are not sure about the herbalists specific interests you can e mail the NIMH direct and ask if they can reccommend someone with relevant experience. bearing in mind that if you came to me, I would probably give you a list of blood tests I would ask you to go to your doc with or get your permission to speak with your doc myself about it.
hope that helps a bit more?

ontheup Wed 10-Sep-08 09:55:33

fab misi thanks - i get the results next week so will take it from there but am more intersted in the alternative side of treating this as I cant take the 'normal' PD meds becasue of ttc. THanks for the link - i will use it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now