Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hurting Ovaries

(16 Posts)
DisasterArea Mon 08-Sep-08 20:58:43

have always had ovulating pain to a degree but it is really getting worse with age.
took cerazette for yonks which was fab as had no pain and no periods either but being unhormoned constantly just feels wrong so stoppe taking it a year ago. now back to the most hurty the ovaries have ever been.
i convince myself monthly that i am dying of either some sort of twist or cancer or appendicitis. then am better within a few days again.
had a laparoscopy about 6 years ago but nothing wrong seen.
what can i do short of demanding removal?

SubRosa Mon 08-Sep-08 22:42:41

Go to your GP if you've got a lot of pain. If he/she is unsympathetic, go to the sexual health clinic, they will listen to you. I had this for years (I've posted on quite a few threads about it, zzzzzzz) and I had a cyst.

A gynae will only remove your ovaries if there's a potential malignancy. I had a cyst with a solid (benign) tumour in it and the gynae carefully cut it out and reconstructed my ovary - ouch!

emma1977 Mon 08-Sep-08 22:59:14

There's no reason why you can't carry on taking cerazette up until the menopause if you so wished (assuming you're not trying for a pregnancy).

No periods, no ovulation pains, what's not to like?

Demanding removal when there's a much less radical and reversible option available is a bit drastic.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Sep-08 09:10:27

DA

Ovulation pain does not last for days on end.

You need to return to the GP and insist that you are referred to a gynae. You need to determine if ovarian cysts or endometriosis is the underlying cause of the pain. If the pain is cyclical and is worse around the time of your period then my money's on endometriosis being the cause.

A lap is normally done when endometriosis is suspected - is this why you had surgery originally?.

DisasterArea Tue 09-Sep-08 17:24:00

thanks for replys.
yes had laparoscopy years ago to see if anything was untoward going on but apparantly nothing was. but yes it does last for about 4-5 days - peaking in the middle when it sends shooting pains up inside if i sit down suddenly.
spose i better go back but.....
i know also that i could carry on taking cerazette forever and it was fab not to worry but it just feels wrong.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Sep-08 19:12:35

Would see a gynae as a matter of course. What you are describing could be due to endometriosis.

asteamedpoater Tue 09-Sep-08 19:54:20

DisasterArea, do you get other symptoms besides the pain at ovulation time? The only reason I ask is that I get ovulation pain and at the same time in the month, my bowel tends to slow down a bit (the opposite of when I get my period, when everything tends to speed up!!!). I wonder if it's mild constipation combined with an already existing tenderness that causes the shooting pains that I also occasionally get when I sit down during that time. Whatever it is, I sympathise - I feel as though my whole pelvic area is congested during ovulation, although it is only occasionally what I would describe as really painful.

DisasterArea Tue 09-Sep-08 21:33:30

bowels tend to be 'irritable' and pain of any sort whether ovulatibg, period or headache tends to make things a bit loose. as opposed to being a bit bunged up sometimes or normal at other times. oh god ca't do investigations in that area. really can't. am irrational wuss.
also have considered polycystic ovaries as am fat and hairy too.
am painting a really attractive picture aren't i.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-Sep-08 09:52:50

Endometriosis deposits can attach themselves to the bowel. Some women get misdiagnosed with IBS when they actually have endometriosis.

Please don't be an irrational wuss (know it is easier to be a wuss though!) and get seen by a gynae. You need to know exactly what's wrong.

Am a big wuss as well but I needed to know exactly why my periods were so irregular and v painful when it arrived. I have diagnoses of PCOS and endometriosis and got both treated (though not cured in case of PCOS). I feel much better these days; endo is a PITA if you pardon the expression.

Fizzylemonade Wed 10-Sep-08 21:55:22

DA

Yes go and get checked out, admittedly it is not pleasant to undergo exam by gynae but something is not right and it is bothering you.

It could be PCOS or endometriosis or something else or nothing.

I have endo and the ovarian pain was hell for me, my endo deposits are in my pouch of douglas (oh how I love that term) which means that period and ovulation time I go through hell bowel wise.

My endo is under control (although no meds for it at the moment) and I have also just come off cerazette for the same reason of being fed up of drugged up.

Despite all my bowel problems I have never had rectal exam, all the usual internals, scans and blood tests for cysts and a laparoscopy.

Your lap was 6 years ago and a lot can happen in that time. Also endo deposits can be microscopic so may not be seen every time.

Go get yourself seen and good luck.

ovarypain Thu 25-Sep-08 14:21:49

I have really similar pains.... been on cerazette for a year and about 6 months in started getting severe pain on my right side, it felt like my ovary and if i coughed to heavy or sat down too quickly it felt like a sharp stabbing pain. Tried to get in to see the doctors but they were booked up and the pain died down so forgot about it and got on with my life, then about 3 months ago the pain started up and ive been to a doctor who just ignored the pain and said i had a water infection, i took antibiotics but they did nothing and the same pain remains. I have another appointment a week from today so going to demand a scan as i was thinking i had an ovarian cyst but from reading the comments i now think it may be endemetriosis as the pain has moved right across my lower abdomen. Its really stressing me out as it feels like im rotting inside and i just want to get things sorted

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 25-Sep-08 14:29:30

ovarypain

Would suggest you return to the GP and insist on a referral to a gynae asap for further evaluation. You need to be seen by such a person.

Do not be fobbed off!!.

SubRosa Thu 25-Sep-08 19:53:20

Attila's right, don't be fobbed off. Please see your GP or (as I said earlier in the thread to the OP) go to your local sexual health clinic, they're v thorough and listen to you.

ovarypain Wed 15-Oct-08 18:03:53

Saw my doctor and he said it is bowel pain, told me to get more fibre and water in my diet and take peppermint oil... the pain has eased off since ive stopped stressing... lets see if it comes back!!

kmd7 Thu 16-Oct-08 19:54:37

I am having the same problem. I have this ache, that makes me feel like I am rotting inside. And one in a while out of no where I get these crippleing sharp pains in my right ovary (or at least I think thats what it is). I had this about 4 years ago and they the doctors thought it must be my appendicts, so they removed it. Come to find out the pain was still there. They diagnosed me with PCOS and put me on metfornim. Then one day I woke up and I felt better. Then just 2 months ago the pain came back. The sudden sharp pains come almost every hour but only last for about 20 sec. then they are gone. But the dull pain is what annoys me the most. I feel like I am just rotting on the inside!

I went to the ER and they did a number of tests which all came back normal. The only thing that they saw was a small grape like cyst in my LEFT overy (the one that doesnt even hurt!) So they gave me pain killers and sent me home. I went to my PCM and they are schedualing me for laposcopic surgery. Which I had 4 years ago.

I just really want this to be over with. I think I would rather them take it all out then to deal with this pain every day!

totalmisfit Thu 16-Oct-08 20:20:27

Keep going back and demand that they take this seriously. You pay your taxes and the NHS is there to treat you. Doctors seem to be getting trained in fobbing people off these days.

Anything which causes you this much pain is sending you the signal something's not right. I get ovulation pain but only on and off for a day each month. If i was getting it for 4 or 5 days i would go to the gp and dig my heels in till he/she did something about it.

Kmd7 it's most likely referred pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now