Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD 21 months says her labia/vagina are hurting

(7 Posts)
lilysma Mon 08-Sep-08 20:25:03

Obviously she doesn't say 'labia/vagina' but I'm too embarrassed to tell you the word she does use wink.

Anyway this morning the first thing she said when she woke up was 'fufu hurting' (whoops, I told you), which she has then repeated a few times through the day, but without seeming particularly upset. It looks fine, but strangely enough her labia did look a bit red over the last couple of days. She had a mild viral infection with sores in her mouth at the same time (no temperature but she was checked out with blood tests and all cos she had a strange rash - didn't think to mention vaginal symptoms as they weren't severe). Also on saturday she once said 'wee wee' with a pained expression, but only the once (she isn't out of nappies yet).

Does it sound like it's adding up to UTI or just vaginal irritation of some kind? I could take her to GP but have a slight, probably irrational, desire to avoid having a strange, possibly male, poking around there for her if I can?

Anyone experienced this?

bluewolf Mon 08-Sep-08 20:26:38

is it thrush?

AvenaLife Mon 08-Sep-08 20:27:40

It sounds like a UTI or cystitis. They won't do anything nasty, just give you a bottle so you can collect some urine.

She really does need to see the GP, as soon as you can really incase she needs some antibiotics.

lilysma Mon 08-Sep-08 20:30:09

Thanks. I don't think its thrush as she doesn't seem to have any discharge to speak of - if anything very slight creamy stuff, but no smell (sorry if TMI!)

Sounds like I should take her to doc tomorrow. Urine collection would be quite tricky though as she doesn't use a potty yet (am I being thick?)

squeaver Mon 08-Sep-08 20:30:56

Please go to the GP. My dd had similar symptoms, then they got slightly better so I didn't go to the doctor. Finally took her when it flared up again and go a prescription for Canesten. GP took a swab too but dd was fine.

AvenaLife Mon 08-Sep-08 20:32:19

They can give you a bag which you stick on and hope it works. grin Or, you could leave her nappy off and run around all day.

I would take her to the doctors, it sounds like she's in alot of discomfort and pain. I hope she's feeling better soon. smile

lilysma Mon 08-Sep-08 21:35:20

Thanks all, I will take her tomorrow. I really don't think she's in ^a lot^ of discomfort and pain as she doesn't seem that bothered when she says it and shows no other signs, but better safe than sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now