Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So what is the problem with hydrocortisone cream?

(14 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 22-Feb-05 13:09:26

Baby ds recently diagnosed with eczema. Has been prescribed 1% hydrocortisone cream.

Some people seem to baulk at hydrocortisone cream. So what's the deal? Why is it a problem?

(I meant to say 'please')

Your wise counsel will be greatly appreciated

weebles Tue 22-Feb-05 13:11:15

I believe it can thin the skin. My ds is now 7, his eczema was so bad as a baby that he was given it. We put it on his face, it was the only thing that worked.

HunkerMunker Tue 22-Feb-05 13:11:23

AFAIK it's because it thins the skin, which is why it should be used sparingly and as a last resort. But if you do need to use it, then do. I have used it on myself in the past and sometimes it's all that will work with really stubborn eczema - and then I go back to using emollients. Hope your DS gets some relief soon xxx

handlemecarefully Tue 22-Feb-05 13:12:38

Oh okay, didn't realise that. I haven't forgotten your Aveeno cream suggestion hunkermunker and will be asking GP about this

HunkerMunker Tue 22-Feb-05 13:13:34

Glad to hear it

almost40 Tue 22-Feb-05 13:17:14

Hydrocortisone is a steroid, which may cause in strong doses some side effects. I was told that it may cause some skin discoloration if used frequently. HTH.

LIZS Tue 22-Feb-05 13:18:42

Agree you need to use it sparingly and only on specific affected areas as it thins normal skin. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after use.

Twiglett Tue 22-Feb-05 13:25:01

should be used sparingly as extended use can thin the skin (meaning that the slightest knock can open a big wound)

it is safe to use on babies for short periods following doctor's instructions

(I used to dilute it in aqueous cream TBH)

handlemecarefully Tue 22-Feb-05 13:56:08

Thanks all. I have been using it since Saturday and already ds' skin seems to be clearing up rather nicely - so luckily a prolonged course (with the thin skinning possibility) seems unlikely.

However, in future, I will ask the doctor if we can try something else first (like aveeno) before the steroids - but will remain open to steroids if they are needed.

Btw - what are you supposed to do between outbreaks of eczema? Keep on using emollients in a sort of preventative way?...and, is it okay to go swimming (I am thinking of the chlorine)?

colette Tue 22-Feb-05 14:06:01

I have found calendula(boots sell it) pretty good if hasn't really grabbed hold iykwim. It is made using marigolds I think.

Potty1 Tue 22-Feb-05 14:48:49

Hmc - dd is currently clear of her eczema ( bar a very few stubborn patches) and we continue with her usual routine but without the h/c. For us its the only way to keep her skin in good condition.

Our routine at present is bath with Balneum and moisturise with Aveeno twice daily. If her skin is bad we use Aveeno straight after the bath and then HC about 20 minutes later. She would also use Aveeno more often during the day. After trying lots of emoillients etc this routine works for us but its been really hit and miss along the way.

Hope you find a routine to suit you.......oh and we try to avoid swimming as much as possible but if she goes we moisturise first, have a good shower after with Oilatum or similar and more moisturising. Some children's eczema isn't made worse by swimming but dd's is

emmatmg Tue 22-Feb-05 14:55:43

Ds3 has been given some this morning for eczema on his face.

Poor little chap looks like fred flintstone (You know, the dark area around with mouth).

handlemecarefully Tue 22-Feb-05 15:16:33

Okay thanks for that Potty1.

We've been given some balneum so that is presumably what the doctor has in mind.....

wanda Tue 22-Feb-05 15:43:02

Have been prescribed Hydrocortisone for ds who has really bad excema over most of his body, It really is the only thing that takes away the angry redness. I asked my GP about the scare stories and she said she wouldn't hesitate to use it on her kids, sparingly and for no more than three days at a time. Have also been prescribed a great emollient which for us is tons beter than diprobase, its called Epaderm and is like a really thick vaseline. I smother Ds in it twice or three times a day. His skin and my hands are much better for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now