Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is the best thing for a very sore throat?

(12 Posts)
MadreInglese Mon 08-Sep-08 11:15:41

My throat is soooo sore and itchy and tickly I feel like I want to ram both hands down it and scratch like mad, but given that this is anatomically impossible what are my other options?

I rarely get a sore throat and usually just drinking water soothes it but this time it's driving me crazy!

Will try anything (but hopefully something I can pick up at the supermarket please)

TIA

<cough cough>

RubyRioja Mon 08-Sep-08 11:16:56

gargling with port is fab - but not to be reccomened if driving.

much better than conventional medicine

purpleflower Mon 08-Sep-08 11:17:20

A teaspoon of honey.

Ledodgy Mon 08-Sep-08 11:17:46

Gargle with cooled boiled water mixed with salt.

MadreInglese Mon 08-Sep-08 11:18:14

sounds fab Ruby but will be driving later unfortunately!

RubyRioja Mon 08-Sep-08 11:19:12

try at bedtime - much nicer than salt water!

RedHead81 Mon 08-Sep-08 11:19:41

tcp is good - but stinks!

hot drink of honey and lemon is fab!
or hot squash with a spoon of honey

lou33 Mon 08-Sep-08 11:20:23

gargle with dispersible aspirin, then swallow it afterwards

always works well for me

MadreInglese Mon 08-Sep-08 11:21:26

Oh pants, I was hoping someone would say chocolate or ice cream but you're all coming up with TCP and salt!

wink

Hassled Mon 08-Sep-08 11:30:12

If it's this bad I really would go to your GP and see if you need antibiotics. It won't just go away with a bit of honey or whatever - I ignored a sore throat until it got to the point that speaking and swallowing was agony and had a right ticking off from the GP for not going earlier. Get it sorted!

MadreInglese Mon 08-Sep-08 11:45:34

Will bear it in mind if it becomes painful Hassled, thanks, it's more of a major irritation atm. Might ask the supermarket pharmacist also.

MadameCastafiore Mon 08-Sep-08 11:52:22

Gargle with diluted Hydrogen Peroxide - it will oxidise the bacteria and you will have to spit out the foam that this produces but will mean you will not need antibiotics unless infection too far down for gargling to work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now