Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

possible abnormal bleeding. sorry tmi alert!

(16 Posts)
scaredofwhatshappening Tue 22-Feb-05 12:24:10

sorry if this is tmi but I need someone to put my mind at rest.

I am on the depo provera (sp?) injection. I have been for over a year now. Since then I have had no bleeding or periods.

Anyway on Friday night me and my husband had sex. It was a little incomfortable for some unknown reason but not painful. Anyway, since then I have been bleeding (bright red) continuously, except on sunday it went like a brown sludge (sorry) Monday and today it is bright red again. Its not a profuse amount like a period but I still need to use a panty liner as it can soak through. It doesn't smell so I doubt it is an infection. DH didn't bleed in me either. (sorry again) I am not in pain now, just a little uncomfortable.

Please can someone tell me that everything is ok? I am scared about what is happening to my body.

Flossam Tue 22-Feb-05 12:40:24

I'd say go to doctors. Painful cerivx sounds like it could be an eroded cervix, but don't think that would be associated with quite so much blood. Might be that and a period combined. When is your depo next due? Is it soon?

scaredofwhatshappening Tue 22-Feb-05 12:42:52

its due in a couple of weeks. I have bled lightly after sex a few times before but never this bad. can i get a period on depo after so long? its been over a year since my last one

breeze Tue 22-Feb-05 12:43:34

I would see the doctor, when was your last smear?

scaredofwhatshappening Tue 22-Feb-05 12:44:11

i have never had one i am too scared to have one

HappyMumof2 Tue 22-Feb-05 13:07:02

Message withdrawn

breeze Tue 22-Feb-05 13:51:56

echo that, after a baby a smear is nothing. Please go and get it checked out. It could be something very simple that can ge sorted.

scaredofwhatshappening Tue 22-Feb-05 16:36:47

Oh god. I have spent the last half an hour on the toilet I am bleeding that much. Lots and lots of clots. (sorry) Its not painful though. If it was a period then I would be in pain surely? I have suffered with really really bad painful periods since they first started when I was 14 thats why I went on the depo in the end in the hope it would stop them. I've had nothing like this since I started on it

HappyMumof2 Tue 22-Feb-05 16:39:04

Message withdrawn

beachyhead Tue 22-Feb-05 16:39:09

phone the doctor as soon as you can and try to get down there ASAP.

HappyMumof2 Tue 22-Feb-05 16:39:38

Message withdrawn

scaredofwhatshappening Tue 22-Feb-05 16:44:19

i did wonder that. but i shouldnt have been pregnant on the depo.....i feel so faint.......

SleepyJess Tue 22-Feb-05 16:46:49

Scared... phone NHS Direct 0845 46 47 and have a chAt to them aout what's goiNg oN. I had some strange bleeding the other month and I got put straight through to a nurse (who was also a midwife) who was very helpful... Give them a ring, love.

SJ x

Amanda3266 Tue 22-Feb-05 16:48:14

Don't wait any longer - ring the GP surgery now. Please - if you're bleeding that heavily and feeling faint (even if it's psychosomatic) you shouldn't waste any more time. Chances are that it's either hormonal or a cervical erosion (quite common - and can bleed heavily). It's highly unlikely to be cancer as you'd have had more symptoms than this before now. Get it checked today - even if only to put your mind at rest.

scaredofwhatshappening Tue 22-Feb-05 16:55:29

I just rang the doctor and she said that its probably a period. that even though i had my last injection 2 days late i shouldnt be pregnant as really you area safe til 5 days late. she said to just take paractamol and eat stuff with iron in it

Laylasmum Tue 22-Feb-05 17:09:25

Don't leave it at that though go and see the GP any bleeding after sex should be investigated and as other people have said have that smear and i would suggest some swabs to rule out any latent infection( you could have an infection from years ago thats only now active) or if you've had a previous infection it may not have cleared properly!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now