Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

paranoid delusions after heart surgery - how long for?

(4 Posts)
mimsum Sun 07-Sep-08 23:28:17

my mum had major heart surgery last week, the operation was more complicated than originally hoped and she was on the table for 10.5 hours - since she came round she has been very agitated and confused, is having paranoid delusions and auditory and visual hallucinations - she's 70 and up until the advent of the heart disease which necessitated the surgery has been in exceptionally good health, both mentally and physically

does anyone know how long can we expect this behaviour to last for and has anyone had this happen to them or one of their relatives?

we've been trying to explain to the staff that she's not really a batty old woman, but I'm not sure they fully understand how totally out of character her current behaviour is

mumonthenet Sun 07-Sep-08 23:36:18

no experience here mims but could her confusion be a side effect of the drugs they're giving her?....painkillers, sedatives, antibiotics. It's not uncommon I believe.

Think you should talk to her consultant about it and insist they look into it.

asicsgirl Mon 08-Sep-08 10:58:50

my stedad had this for a day or two after heart surgery. can be very scary! i think it was because of the drugs so yes, agree with mumonthenet, talk to consultant.

asicsgirl Mon 08-Sep-08 10:59:07

stepdad, even blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now