Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had uterine ablation and didn't bleed

(14 Posts)
cocolepew Sun 07-Sep-08 22:04:07

I had it 7 days ago and was under the impression that I would bleed for a couple of weeks. But so far nada.

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 22:06:07

my sister had it and didn't bleed.

she's had so much relief from it.

cocolepew Sun 07-Sep-08 22:14:37

Thanks, I bled straight after but not since, I wondered if I'll have a couple of heavy periods first.

Marina Sun 07-Sep-08 22:15:41

Hardly any bleeding and the long-term effects have been pretty good for me

emma1977 Sun 07-Sep-08 22:17:32

Bleeding isn't obligatory!

cocolepew Sun 07-Sep-08 22:17:39

But where does all the lining go if you don't bleed? Did it all come out at surgery or is it floating around inside? hmm

Marina Sun 07-Sep-08 22:18:06

It should all have been tidied up for you, so to speak

emma1977 Sun 07-Sep-08 22:19:08

The cells that create womb lining are destroyed by heat so they don't produce any blood.

It won't start coming out of your earhole instead.

cocolepew Sun 07-Sep-08 22:19:55

Oh OK thanks for the replies, did anyone have a period (noticable) after, I'm supposed to start the pill on the first day of my period.

herbietea Sun 07-Sep-08 22:23:15

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Sun 07-Sep-08 22:25:33

I only bled for the first day, just had a pinkish watery discharge for a while after that.

I had mine done in January, and haven't had a period at all since then. That was pretty much what I was expecting; my gynae told me that in most cases periods disappear completely (this was using the Novasure method).

As far as I know, the only reason you are normally advised to take the Pill on the first day of a period is because that way you are protected from pregnancy from day one - otherwise you need to use additional contraception for a couple of weeks. Check with your doctor though.

cocolepew Sun 07-Sep-08 22:28:29

That what I wondered about the pill it's for hormonal problems not contraception so I thought I could start taking it anytime.
Thanks for repling and I'm glad it's worked for everyone smile

emma1977 Sun 07-Sep-08 22:36:04

WWB is right about starting the pill anytime and using extra precautions for 2 weeks.

It would be difficult (although not impossible) to conceive following an ablation though.

cocolepew Sun 07-Sep-08 22:37:37

If I got pregnant DH would have something to say about it, he's had a vasectomy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now